IBM® WebSphere® Application Server Network Deployment on the deployment manager system must be installed at the same product revision level as the WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment levels used on the cluster nodes and must have the same corrective service levels applied. IBM Lotus® Quickr™ for WebSphere Portal provides a customized installation package (CIP) that includes WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment and all required maintenance packages. Use the discs supplied with Lotus Quickr to install WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment on a dedicated system.
Long path names can be a potential problem particularly when deploying applications in a cluster. To avoid problems related to excessively long paths names, consider the following when installing WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment:
- Use a short installation path. For example, use C:\\Quickr instead of C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Quickr.
- Specify short cell and node names – do not use names longer than 5 characters. For example, you might use scell instead of stonemillNode01cell.
- The name of the WAR files must be less than approximately 21 characters. The installation program attempts to truncate or rename long names before it deploys the WAR file into the application server; however, it cannot always circumvent the path name to exceed the limit. To correct this error, modify the file name to less than 21 characters.
- See the technote 1254579 for more information.
If you already have WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment installed in your environment, use the instructions in this section to ensure that you have applied any fix packs and interim fixes that are required for use with IBM Lotus Quickr for WebSphere Portal.
If you are planning to install Lotus Quickr and the deployment manager on the same system, create separate profiles for the server and the deployment manager. Both profiles use the same installation of WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment. This documentation does not provide detailed instructions for the scenario of installing multiple profiles on the same system.
If you are planning to install two separate copies of WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment on the same system for the deployment manager and Lotus Quickr on the same computer, review the coexistence requirements in the WebSphere Application Server documentation before installing these products:
Be aware that the Lotus Quickr installation automatically installs WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment.
If you see system prerequisites failure when installing WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment, but your system is actually higher then the required system level, then you can ignore this failure. For more information see Installing WebSphere Application Server
- Install WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment with the customized installation package (CIP) provided with Lotus Quickr. You can install on a system without WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment or use the CIP to upgrade an existing installation.
Locate the disc for WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment and install WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment by using the following install command.
Upgrade the Deployment Manager to version 184.108.40.206.
- cd_root is the root directory of the disc
- operating_system is your operating system name
- architecture is the processor architecture of the system
Use the Profile Creation wizard to create a default deployment manager profile.
- Copy the WebSphere Application Server update installer from W-Setup/was6_fixes/win into the Deployment Managers directory. The 220.127.116.11 fixpack is in the maintenance directory.
Note: For Windows® 64bit systems, the WebSphere Application Server update installer is located in the W-Setup/was6_fixes/win64 directory.
- Copy the java directory from the Deployment Managers directory into the directory for the update installer.
- Stop the Deployment Manager server.
- Run update.bat to open update installer and do the upgrade.
As with installation path names, use a short directory path when specifying the location of the profile you are creating. For example, instead of using the path C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\WebSphere\\AppServer\\profiles
, use C:\\IBM\\AppServer\\profiles
. It is not necessary that the installation path for the application server be the same directory path used for storing profile information.Important:
Ensure you enable administrative security when creating the Deployment Manager profile. If Deployment Manager administrative security is not enabled, the Quickr installation will fail during cluster setup.
See WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment information center for details:
Ensure that the deployment manager is operating properly.
On the WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment node, start the deployment manager by running the startManager script.
After the deployment manager starts, launch the administrative console with the following URL: http://dmgr_hostname:9060/ibm/console
, where dmgr_hostname
is the fully qualified host name of the WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment node.
Log in to the administrative console for the deployment manager.
Increase the HTTP connection timeouts for the deployment manager.
Change the timeout request period for the Java™ Management Extensions (JMX) connector.
- Click System Administration -> Deployment Manager -> Web container transport chains.
- Increase the timeout values. For the WCInboundAdmin and WCInboundAdminSecure entries listed in the "web container transport chains" section, complete the following steps to increase the timeout values:
- Click HTTP Inbound Channel.
- Change the Read timeout value to 180.
- Change the Write timeout value to 180.
- Save the configuration changes.
Update the maximum Java heap size used by the deployment manager:
- Click System administration -> Deployment Manager -> Administration Services -> JMX connectors -> SOAPConnector -> Custom Properties.
- Select the requestTimeout property, and increase the value from 600 to 6000.
- Save the configuration changes.
On the administrative console Navigate to Users and Groups -> Manage Groups.
- Click System administration -> Deployment manager -> Java and Process Management -> Process Definition -> Java Virtual Machine.
- Update the value in the Maximum Heap Size field. Use a value of at least 1408 MB.
- Click OK, and then save your changes.
Copy the following files from W-Setup/filesForDmgr/ to your Deployment Manager folder.
- Click Create
- Create a group called wpsadmins.
- Navigate to Users and Groups -> Manage Users
- Click Create
- Perform the following steps to create the QuickrAdministrative user.
- Enter the values for the new administrative user (this user should be used when installing primary and secondary nodes)
- Click the 'Group Membership' button
- From the right hand menu, select 'wpsadmins' and click Add
- Click Close
- Click Create to create the user
Restart the deployment manager.
Configuration of the deployment manager is complete.
Parent topic: Installing a cluster on Windows systems: qp85