Categories are used to organize and locate documents.
Document categories are used to group documents in a library. Grouping documents makes them easier to manage and locate, especially in a large library. Categories are hierarchical, with parent-child relationships between categories, similar to folders and sub-folders. Unlike documents in folders, a single document can be assigned to more than one category.
To create a new category, you must be an Administrator. If you are not an Administrator, you can assign a document to one or more categories, but you can not create a new category, or modify existing categories. Categories are created in the content repository, so they can be shared across multiple libraries on a server.
To create a new category:
- Click Manage Library -> Manage Library Elements -> Categories.
- Click the name of the parent category under which the new category will be created. To create a new top level category, click All Categories.
- Click Create Category.
- Enter a name for the new category.
- Click Create.
- The new category appears in the category tree.
- Click the name of the library in the title to return to the main library page.
To categorize a new document, select the category in the Categories
property when uploading to the library. To add or remove a category from an existing document, click the down arrow beside the document name, select Edit Properties
, and change the Categories
Parent topic: Managing libraries: qp85