This section includes information on setting up your Windows operating system prior to the Lotus® Quickr™ installation. Other components might require additional steps; see the product documentation for the specific components that you want to install for information.
Before you install Lotus Quickr, review the following information to ensure that your machine is ready for installation.
- Planning Windows disk space
- Avoiding excessively long path names
- Checking your network setup
- Enabling Document Conversion Services
- Using an Oracle database
- Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Planning Windows disk space
Carefully plan for the size of your file system to avoid related problems. Review the Lotus Quickr system requirements
and ensure that all hardware and software matches the minimum product level before installing WebSphere Portal. Ensure the location where Quickr will be installed to has sufficient space to grow if you are not planning on using a remote database. A running Lotus Quickr system will store all data at the location designated during installation unless you perform a database transfer after installation.
Avoiding excessively long path names
Consider the following recommendations when installing to avoid excessively long path names:
- Use a short installation path. For example, use C:\\IBM\\Quickr instead of C:\\Program Files\\IBM\\Quickr.
- Specify node names; do not use names longer than 5 characters. For example, you might use node1 instead of longnodename01.
If you exceed the 259 maximum character length, you may receive one of the following error messages during configuration or in the wpinstalllog.txt
- The input line is too long.
- The syntax of the command is incorrect.
- The filename is too long.
Checking your network setup
Correct network configuration is essential when installing Lotus Quickr. Verify the following network setup requirements before installation:
- Fully qualified host name. Lotus Quickr requires the use of a fully qualified host name, which is typically the host name of the server and its fully qualified domain name. Type ping yourserver.yourcompany.com on a command line to verify that your fully qualified host name is configured correctly.
Enabling Document Conversion Services
Documents produced by many standard applications, such as word processors or spreadsheet editors, can be viewed as HTML pages using Document Conversion Services. For information about enabling Document Conversion Services for a document library, see Enabling Document Conversion Services
Using an Oracle database
If you are planning to use an Oracle database Lotus Quickr it is easiest to transfer databases to Oracle during a new installation prior to adding content. Complete the following steps to prepare the Oracle database:
- Copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar from the Oracle distribution to the local drive where Lotus Quickr will be installed.
CAUTION: Do not copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar to the local temporary directory.
- Prepare the Oracle database for installation. For more information see Planning for Oracle.
Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Due to the Quickr installation also covering installing some prerequisite software stack components installation time is protracted.
It is therefore recommended to adopt the following procedure to avoid prompting for CDs during the installation:
- Copy each install CD to separate folders under the same parent directory
Parent topic: Installing on a Windows system: qp85