View information about setting up your operating system prior to installation. Other components might require additional steps; see the product documentation for the specific components that you want to install for information.
Before you install, review the following information to ensure that your system is ready for installation.
- Planning AIX disk space
- Setting the file descriptor limit
- Check your network setup
- Additional file sets that might be required
- Enabling Document Conversion Services
- Using an Oracle database
- Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Planning AIX disk space
Carefully plan for the size of your file system to avoid related problems. Review the Lotus Quickr system requirements
and ensure that all hardware and software matches the minimum product level before installing WebSphere Portal. Ensure the location where Quickr will be installed to has sufficient space to grow if you are not planning on using a remote database. A running Lotus Quickr system will store all data at the location designated during installation unless you perform a database transfer after installation.
Setting the file descriptor limit
If you want to use the graphical user interface that is provided by the installation program, install and configure X server on the Linux® system (for example X-Windows or GNOME). The installation program also supports console installation, which is a text-only mode, and X server is not required in that case.
Check your network setup
Correct network configuration is essential when installing Lotus Quickr. Verify the following network setup requirements before installation:
- Fully qualified host name. Lotus Quickr requires the use of a fully qualified host name, which is typically the host name of the server and its fully qualified domain name. Type ping yourserver.yourcompany.com on a command line to verify that your fully qualified host name is configured correctly.
Additional file sets that might be required
The following AIX® file sets are required to install or run IBM DB2® in languages other than English:
- X11.fnt.ucs.ttf (AIX Windows® Unicode True Type Fonts)
- XlC.rte 5.0.2.x
For Asian languages, the following file sets are also required:
- X11.fnt.ucs.ttf_CN (for zh_CN or Zh_CN)
- X11.fnt.ucs.ttf_KR (for ko_KR)
- X11.fnt.ucs.ttf_TW (for zh_TW or Zh_TW)
You can download file sets from www.ibm.com/support. Enter X11.fnt.ucs.ttf
in the search field and select the appropriate fileset from the results.
Enabling Document Conversion Services
Documents produced by many standard applications, such as word processors or spreadsheet editors, can be viewed as HTML pages using Document Conversion Services. For information about enabling Document Conversion Services for a document library, see Enabling Document Conversion Services
Using an Oracle database
If you are planning to use an Oracle database Lotus Quickr it is easiest to transfer databases to Oracle during a new installation prior to adding content. Complete the following steps to prepare the Oracle database:
- Copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar from the Oracle distribution to the local drive where Lotus Quickr will be installed.
CAUTION: Do not copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar to the local temporary directory.
- Prepare the Oracle database for installation. For more information see Planning for Oracle.
Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Due to the Quickr installation also covering installing some prerequisite software stack components installation time is protracted.
It is therefore recommended to adopt the following procedure to avoid prompting for CDs during the installation:
- Copy each installation CD to separate folders under the same parent directory, then run setup from the A-Setup folder
Parent topic: Installing a cluster on AIX systems: qp85