View information about setting up your Linux® operating system before installing Lotus® Quickr™. Other components might require additional steps; see the product documentation for the specific components that you want to install for information.
Before you install, review the following information to ensure that your system is ready for installation.
- Planning Linux disk space
- Setting the file descriptor limit
- Planning for the graphical interface installation program
- Checking your network setup
- Enabling Document Conversion Services
- Using an Oracle database
- Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Planning Linux disk space
Carefully plan for the size of your file system to avoid related problems. Review the Lotus Quickr system requirements
and ensure that all hardware and software matches the minimum product level before installing WebSphere Portal. Ensure the location where Quickr will be installed to has sufficient space to grow if you are not planning on using a remote database. A running Lotus Quickr system will store all data at the location designated during installation unless you perform a database transfer after installation.
Setting the file descriptor limit
Before installing, set the file descriptor limit to 40000. For example, enter ulimit -n 40000
. If the file descriptor limit is not set, the installation might fail.
Planning for the graphical interface installation program
If you want to use the graphical user interface that is provided by the installation program, install and configure X server on the Linux system (for example X-Windows or GNOME). The installation program also supports console installation, which is a text-only mode, and X server is not required in that case.
Checking your network setup
Correct network configuration is essential when installing Lotus Quickr. Verify the following network setup requirements before installation:
- Fully qualified host name. Lotus Quickr requires the use of a fully qualified host name, which is typically the host name of the server and its fully qualified domain name. Type ping yourserver.yourcompany.com on a command line to verify that your fully qualified host name is configured correctly.
Enabling Document Conversion Services
Documents produced by many standard applications, such as word processors or spreadsheet editors, can be viewed as HTML pages using Document Conversion Services. For information about enabling Document Conversion Services for a document library, see Enabling Document Conversion Services
Enabling Document Conversion Services on zLinux
1. Add .log to the text/plain section in the app_server_root/java/jre/lib/content-types.properties file to allow pdm to preview the .log file. The .log is a plain text file.
2. Configure Portal from WAS admin console as below
Note: The file type .7z can only can be opened by a local application after it is downloaded and cannot be previewed in pdm. Lotus Quickr will open Load Document Content to save non-extension files, like readme, to a local disk.
a. Login to the WebSphere® Application Server administrative console.
b. Click Servers -> Application Servers -> WebSphere_Portal .
c. Click Process Definition in the Java and Process Management section.
d. Click Environment Entries in the Additional Properties section.
e. Select LD_LIBRARY_PATH In the Value field, add /usr/X11R6/lib in front of the existing path: :
f. Click Apply and Save.
Using an Oracle database
If you are planning to use an Oracle database Lotus Quickr it is easiest to transfer databases to Oracle during a new installation prior to adding content. Complete the following steps to prepare the Oracle database:
- Copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar from the Oracle distribution to the local drive where Lotus Quickr will be installed.
CAUTION: Do not copy the JDBC library file, ojdbc14.jar to the local temporary directory.
- Prepare the Oracle database for installation. For more information see Planning for Oracle.
Avoid prompting for installation CDs
Due to the Quickr installation also covering installing some prerequisite software stack components installation time is protracted.
It is therefore recommended to adopt the following procedure to avoid prompting for CDs during the installation:
- Copy each installation CD to separate folders under the same parent directory, then run setup from the iL-Setup folder
Parent topic: Installing a cluster on Linux systems: qp85