Using the IBM Support AssistantAdded by IBM on December 16, 2010 | Version 1 (Original)
|The IBM Support Assistant is a tool designed to help answer questions and gather data for service personnel if needed. You can use the IBM Support Assistant to perform federated searches across information repositories, access support-related web resources, and automate data collection to expedite problem resolution.
The IBM Support Assistant is a tool designed to help answer questions and gather data for service personnel if needed. You can use the IBM Support Assistant to perform federated searches across information repositories, access support-related web resources, and automate data collection to expedite problem resolution.
About this task
Sometimes you cannot solve a problem by troubleshooting the symptoms. In such cases, you need to collect diagnostic data that is required for IBM Support to effectively troubleshoot the problem. The diagnostic data that you need to collect and the sources from which you collect that data are dependent on the type of problem that you are investigating. A base set of information is typically required for diagnosing and resolving a product-level or component-level problem. The IBM Support Assistant is a tool that you can use to collect diagnostic data. It provides a tools framework that includes the following:
- An automated system and symptom-based collector tool that gathers general information from an operating system, registry, and so forth, and can automatically enable tracing that will be helpful to IBM support as part of the data gathering process.
- A problem submission tool that enables users to enter entitlement information once and have it saved for future sessions. Users can then easily create a problem report for IBM and attach the collector file at the same time.
To use the IBM Support Assistant, follow these steps:
- Download and install the latest version of the IBM Support Assistant Workbench. You can download it from the following external Web site: http://www.ibm.com/software/support/isa/.
- Download the Lotus Quickr 8.5 add-on for the IBM Support Assistant by completing the following steps:
- From the IBM Support Assistant menu, select Update > Find New > Product Add-ons.
- Expand Lotus, select the Lotus Quickr 8.5 check box, and then click Next.
- Accept the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Click Finish. You must restart the workbench before the Lotus Quickr add-on will be available.
- Use the IBM Support Assistant to find information about the issue.
- If you determine that you need the help of IBM Support to resolve the problem, use the workbench to collect data from the system experiencing the problem. To do so, follow these basic steps:
- Start the IBM Support Assistant workbench.
- From the welcome page, click the Analyze Problem icon.
- Click the Collect Data tab. Expand Lotus Quickr 8.2 in the Select a product list, choose collection components.
- Click Add to add the collectors to the Collector Queue, and then click Collect All to start collecting files. You might be asked for information during the data collection process. For example, you may be prompted for the administrative user ID and password of the server. Provide the information requested. The data collector informs you when the processing is completed.
- Provide the collection of data to IBM Support. As you use the collector wizard, it gives you the option of sending the collected data to IBM Support over FTP. You can choose to send the data to IBM that way or provide it separately.
Parent topic: Troubleshooting and support