|This demonstration shows you how to create a feed from a sample Excel spreadsheet that contains fictitious information about customers. After you create the feed, you will be able to use the information in your mashups.
This demonstration shows you how to create a feed from a sample Excel spreadsheet that contains fictitious information about customers. After you create the feed, you will be able to use the information in your mashups. The demonstration comes from Module C, Lesson 1: Creating a simple feed of customer information in the tutorial titled Introduction to creating mashups using Mashup Center 2.0.
To read a text version of this demonstration, scroll to the Procedure section below the demonstration in this wiki article.
Watch the demonstration full screen in a new window.
Following these steps to create a simple feed of customer information that resides in an Excel spreadsheet:
- Download the sample spreadsheet of customer information to your local machine. The file is named CustomerList.xls. Make note of the save location.
- In the Home:Catalog window of the catalog, click Create > New Feed.
- In the Select a feed data source window, in the Source field, select Excel Workbook in the departmental category.
- Click Next.
- In the Specify information about the Microsoft Excel worksheet file window, do the following steps:
- For the Input type, select Upload File. This will upload the entire XLS file definition and all associated artifacts to the catalog.
- In the Filepath field, click Browse, point to the spreadsheet file named CustomerList.xls that you downloaded earlier, and click Open.
- In the Header row field, type 1. This indicates that the first row of the spreadsheet will used as the column headers when the data displays in the mashup page.
- Leave the Range and Worksheet number fields empty.
- Click Next.
- In the Specify the following information window, do the following steps:
- In the Title field, type My customers.
- In the Description field, type My feed of customer information from CustomerList.xls spreadsheet.
- Optionally add some tags. Leave the default values in the other fields.
- Click Finish. The next screen informs you that the My customers feed was saved successfully. This screen also provides a list of actions that you can perform next, for example view the feed in a browser, view the feed details, add the feed to the mashup builder, and more.
- In the What's Next? section, click View Feed details. In the screen that displays next, notice how the feed generator provides a link at the top of the window. You can click this link to view the feed details in a browser or copy it to your clipboard for future use. You can edit certain aspects of your feed on this page as well. Note: If you view your feed in a Firefox browser, you will need to select View > Page Source to see the XML code.
- In the Details section, click the last star in the My Rating field to give the feed a high rating of five. This ensures that the feed shows up as highly rated in user searches. The rating information is saved automatically.
Now, when you return to the Home:Catalog window of the catalog and refresh the browser, your new feed will display in the list of feeds.