The first step in creating a mashup using the veterinarians' business data is to create a MashupHub feed from the data.
Estimated time to complete this lesson: 10 minutes
The client data is stored in an Excel spreadsheet and has the following information about each client:
- First name
- Last name
- Zip code
- Animal breed
- Animal name
- Date of last visit
The feed you are about to create, called Veterinary Clients
, is the same as the one provided in the catalog when you install MashupHub. To view the example feed, select the feed from the catalog. This displays the details about the feed. Select View Feed
to see the output from the completed feed in the browser. Creating a duplicate feed helps you to understand the process of creating feeds.
Instructions for creating the feed:
1. Download the sample client data,
, and save it to your computer. This will be uploaded to the MashupHub catalog when the feed is created.
2. Click New Feed
under the Create
category, from the home tab of MashupHub.
3. Select Excel Workbook
from the departmental
section in the Feed data source
tab that appears. Click Next
4. In the Microsoft Excel XLS worksheet window, type or select these values:
- Header row: 1
- Range: A1:I30
- Worksheet number: 1
- Input type: Upload File
- Filepath: Click Browse and select the clients.xls file you downloaded.
5. Click Next
6. From the next window type these values:
- Title: Veterinary Clients
- Description: Sample client information for tutorial
- Version: 1.1
- Tags (optional): veterinary clients, excel
- Permissions: Public
- Click Finish.
7. From the Feed successfully saved window, select View feed
- A new browser tab or window will appear. Notice how the Atom feed shows the value for the title entered in the previous step, and the description appears under the title.
: Some Web browsers do not display all of the information contained in a feed. You may need to right-click from within the browser and select View Page Source to see the actual data.
- The first entry element of the Atom feed looks like this:
< entry xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" >
< title type="text" >clients< /title >"
< id >urn:uuid:2< /id >
< updated >2008-06-02T18:23:06.841Z< /updated >
< author >
< name >HubAdmin< /name >
< /author >
< summary type="text" >Atom Feed entry 2< /summary >
< content type="application/xml" >
< row xmlns="http://www.ibm.com/xmlns/atom/content/datarow/1.0">
< First_name >Waiin< /First_name >
< Last_name >Fong< /Last_name >
< Address >5436 Main Street< /Address >
< City >Brooksville< /City>
< State >Florida< /State >
< Zip_code >34613< /Zip_code >
< Animal_Breed >Horse< /Animal_Breed >
< Animal_name >Black Beauty< /Animal_name >
< Date_of_last_visit >11/15/2007< /Date_of_last_visit >
< /row >
< /content >
< /entry >
8. Select the browser tab or window where MashupHub is displayed.
Select the Home tab and enter Veterinary Clients in the Search area.
Click the magnifying glass icon to start the search. A new tab appears and lists the existing Veterinary Clients feed installed in the catalog, as well as the new one you just created.
Lesson 2: Creating a Feed from a Relational Data Source V1.0
MashupHub Tutorial - Table of Contents:
Welcome to MashupHub V1.0
Module 1: Introduction to MashupHub V1.0
Module 2: Creating Feeds V1.0
Module 3: Creating Feed Mashups V1.0
Module 4: Using MashupHub Objects in Lotus Mashups V1.0
Module 5: Additional Resources and Summary V1.0