widget allows users to log into IBM Lotus Sametime Connect and chat with their contacts without having to open the application outside of the mashup page.
: Use only one Sametime
widget at a time on a single mashup page. If you add a second Sametime
widget to the page, when users submit their ID and password into the first widget, they will automatically get logged into the second widget.
By default, when users first open the mashup application, the Sametime
widget displays a login screen with three fields:
- User name: The user’s user name
- Password: The user’s password
- Host: The name of the Lotus Sametime Connect community server, for example sametime.lotus.com
Users will be prompted to log back into the community server each time they navigate away from the mashup page.
After users successfully log in, they can perform the following tasks:
- View their contacts list: Users can open their contacts list and see all the categories, names, and images they see when they open the standalone version of Lotus Sametime Connect. Note that users must use the standalone application to update their contacts list.
- Chat with contacts: Users can simply double-click contacts in the list to initiate a chat.
- Send and receive content in rich text: Users can create and receive content in rich text format.
- Participate in group chats: Users can accept invitations to join group chats. Note that users must use the standalone application to initiate group chats.
- Find and chat with people who are not in their contacts list: The Sametime widget provides the option for users to search their company directory for a person who is not in their contacts list. If the person’s name is found, users can initiate a chat. Note that users must use the standalone application to add the person to their contact list.
- Edit status messages: Users can edit their status messages to provide details about their availability. Note that status messages do not persist after you log out of the Sametime widget and then log back in. This is true even when you select the Edit message every time option.
- Set style properties for background and font: Users can change background colors and set properties for font such as font style, color, and size.
- Add emoticons to chats: Users can add emoticons to chats to liven up conversations with co-workers.
- Create hyperlinks: Users can create hyperlinks and add them to chat windows so that contacts can simply click the links and open Web pages.
Note the following issues when viewing the Sametime widget using a Firefox V2 browser:
- After clicking Hide in the menu to move the Sametime widget to the hidden widgets corral, if you click Display in the menu to move the widget back onto the page, you will need to log back in.
- When using the Mashups Column theme, if you move the Sametime widget from one column to another one on the page, you will need to log back in.
Currently no configuration options are available for the Sametime widget.
See the following table to learn which events the Sametime widget can send and receive:
This widget does not send content.
Start Chat using Text -- receives the unique identifier of the user with whom you want to chat. This unique identifier can be in the form of an e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org), a Lotus Domino name (XYZ/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS), or any other string that uniquely identifies users on the Lotus Sametime Connect community server.
Allow users to be able to click a name in an organization chart widget and start a chat session with that person in the Sametime widget. In this scenario, you have already added an organization chart widget to the page that is able to pass strings of data that contain the unique names of company employees. These are the names that are recognized by the Lotus Sametime Connect community server. This data can be in the form of an e-mail address (email@example.com), a Lotus Domino name (XYZ/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS), or any other string that uniquely identifies users on the Lotus Sametime Connect community server.
Now users can click a person's name in the organization chart widget and start a chat with that person without leaving the mashup page.
- Drag the Sametime widget onto the page.
- Hover your cursor over the Sametime widget, and click the wiring icon to open the wiring interface. Do the following steps:
- Click the Receive tab.
- In the Select content to receive section, click Start Chat using Text.
- In the Select a widget to send content section, select the organization chart widget.
- In the Select content to send section, select either the string to send the unique identifier, for example the e-mail address or the name.
- Click Done.