This topic describes how to enable the configuration and personalization features for the Mashup Center default widgets.
About this task
When users configure settings for a widget, they define properties at the widget definition level. This means that all instances of that widget that are used from that point forward persist the changes that are made. Settings that users configure at the definition level override any settings that they users make at the instance level. Users can configure settings for widgets at the definition level by opening the contextual menu for the widget and selecting Configure
. Note that the configuration feature is enabled by user group.
When users personalize a widget, they define properties that apply only to those users. For example, the default Feed Reader
widget may display 10 rows of data. However, if they want to see only five rows, they can personalize the widget to show only those five rows. Then when they share the page with others, those other users will continue to see the 10 rows because the personalization settings do not apply to other users. When this feature is enabled, users can personalize settings for a widget by opening the contextual menu for the widget and selecting Personalize
To enable configuration and personalization for widgets, do the following steps:
- Stop the Mashup Center server.
- Open MashupCenter_install_root/mm/config/ConfigService.properties.
- To enable personalization, locate the com.ibm.mashups.widget.attributes.personalize.enabled property, and set the property to true. Note that the property is set to true by default. To enable configuration, locate the com.ibm.mashups.widget.attributes.configure.groups=administrators property. Note that the administrators group is already enabled to use the configuration feature. To add more groups, delimit them by commas, for example administrators,userGroup1.
- Save your changes.
- From the MashupCenter_install_root/Config/ directory, run config.bat update-was-config (Windows) or ./config.sh update-was-config (Linux).
- Start the Mashup Center server.
Now, users will see the Configure
options in the display menu of several default Mashup Center widgets.
Parent topic: Administering widgets and gadgets