The Action Timer
widget allows you to set up a timer that controls the frequency that an event gets passed to another widget in milliseconds. Each time an event gets passed, the counter increases by one.
You can wire the Action Timer
widget to another widget on the page to trigger repeatable actions such as page refreshes or other updates. For example, you may have a stock quote widget that updates the stock quotes whenever an event occurs. You can control the frequency of how often the event occurs by configuring the Action Timer
widget with the desired frequency and then wiring it to the stock quote widget so that the stock quotes are updated according to the specified frequency.
When configuring the Action Timer
widget, use the following tips:
- In the Frequency in milliseconds field, specify the amount of time that an event gets fired, for example 5000 for five seconds and 120,000 for two minutes.
- In the Reset counter to field, type the number to which you want to reset the counter on the Action Timer widget. The counter increases is increments of '1'.
See the following table to learn which events the Action Timer
widget can send and receive:
Table 1. Events for the Action Timer widget
|Date expired as Date - sends the date when the timer expires.||This widget does not receive content.|
|Time expired as Time - sends the time that the timer expires.|
|Time stamp expired as Timestamp - sends the timestamp when the timer expires. The timestamp includes both the date and time. |
|Counter increased as Number - sends the value of the current counter.|
: Send a counter event to the Event Explorer
widget every five seconds.
Do the following steps:
- Drag the Action Timer and Event Explorer widgets onto the mashup page.
- Click the display menu in the upper right corner of the Action Timer widget frame, and select Edit Settings.
- In the configuration window, in the Frequency of milliseconds field, type 5000.
- Click Save.
- Click the display menu in the upper right corner of the Action Timer widget frame, and select Edit Wiring.
- Click the Send tab.
- In the Select content to send section, select Counter increased as Number.
- In the Select a widget to receive content section, select Event Explorer.
- In the Select an action section, select Event data using Any Data.
- Click Done. Now the Event Explorer widget displays the new counter value every five seconds.
Parent topic: Widget reference: imc3