Creating a feed from an Excel workbook : Mashup Center 2.0Added by IBM on November 20, 2009 | Version 1 (Original)
Contents: MashupHub User and Administrator Guide : Mashup Center 2.0
You can create a new Atom feed from a Microsoft®
Before you begin
- The source must be an .XLS file from any version of Excel from Excel 97 through Excel 2007.
- The Excel file must be in the UTF-8 format.
- Excel .XLSX files are not supported.
- Excel files exported from Google Docs are not supported.
- The data in the worksheet cells must be a number, date (using the mm/dd/yyyy format), text, or a formula. Formulas cannot include Logical functions, such as IF, or complex functions such as VLOOKUP and OFFSET. Formulas cannot return #Value or #Ref errors. Formulas that reference a different sheet in the workbook are not supported.
About this task
To create a feed from an Excel worksheet:
- On the Home:Catalog tab, click Create and select New Feed.
- Select Excel Workbook and click Next.
- Indicate the input type of the file by selecting either Upload File or Upload URL. Specify the location of the file and click Next. If you select Upload URL, the remote Excel file will be transferred to the MashupHub server and used to create the Atom feed. If the remote Excel file is updated, the updates will be downloaded automatically the next time the Atom feed is accessed. If the remote Excel file becomes inaccessible or is removed, then the copy maintained by the MashupHub server will be used to generate the Atom feed.
- Optional: In the Header row field, type the number of the row that contains the labels or headings for the column data. For example, if the titles for each column start in the second row of the data, type 2 in the Header row field. If you do not specify a row number, MashupHub assumes that the worksheet does not contain any column labels or headings, and generates the element names for you.
- Optional: In the Range field, specify the start and end of the range of data. Use letters to represent the columns and numbers to represent the rows. Use a colon between the two representations. For example, if the data starts in the first column and third row, you specify A3. If the data ends in the fifth column and tenth row, you specify E10. The range you specify is A3:E10. If you do not specify a range, MashupHub assumes that the range is the entire worksheet.
- Optional: In the Worksheet number field, indicate the worksheet number to use for the feed. For example, if the data is on the second worksheet, type 2. If you do not specify a worksheet number, MashupHub assumes that the data is on the first worksheet.
- Enter the feed details. See Specifying the feed details and registering the feed : Mashup Center 2.0.
After you save the feed, click View Feed in Browser
. The results appear in a new tab or window in the browser.
You might need to view the page source from the browser to see all the information in the feed. For example, in Firefox select View
-> Page Source
Parent topic: Creating and registering new feeds : Mashup Center 2.0