Using a wizard to create a widget from a Web site : Mashup Center 2.0Added by IBM on November 20, 2009 | Version 1 (Original)
Contents: Creating mashups : Mashup Center 2.0
This topic describes how to use a default wizard to create a custom widget from a Web site. The wizard guides you through all the tasks required to create a customized Web Site Displayer
widget to include in your mashup applications.
About this task
Based on the default Web Site Displayer
widget that is available in the palette, this wizard helps you create a widget that displays a Web site. For more information about the Web Site Displayer
widget, see Web Site Displayer : Mashup Center 2.0
To create a custom widget using the Web Site Displayer
wizard, do the following steps:
- In the mashup builder, in the main actions menu, select Create a New Widget.
- Click Create a widget from a Wizard..
- In the window, select Create a widget from a Web site.
- Click Launch Wizard.
- In the Content Source window, type a fully qualified URL in the field, and click Load. If the URL is available, the Web site will display on the right side of the wizard.
- Click Next.
- In the Save Widget window, select how you want to be able to find your newly created widget. Choices include the following:
The final steps of the wizard depend on how you selected to save the widget. If you selected to add your new widget to the current page, specify a name for the widget. If you selected to add the widget to your palette, select a category for the widget as well as the title that displays in the category. Finally, if you selected to add your widget to the catalog, specify the title, description, and version. Optionally, you can specify permissions and a sharing method, as described here:
- Add to my current page: This option adds the widget to the page that is currently selected in the page selector. You will select a name for your widget in the next window.
- Add to my palette: This option adds the widget to your palette. You will select the category in a later step.
- Add to the catalog: This option adds the widget to the catalog.
Click Finish. The widget builder returns to the start page and displays a message telling you that your widget was saved successfully.
- You can set either public or private catalog permissions. If you select Public, the widget displays in the catalog for all users. If you select Private, the widget displays in the catalog for you only, and no other users can see it.
- You can share your widget either as a URL or a ZIP package. If you select Widget URL, you share a fully qualified URL with others to reference. No files are downloaded. When users access the widget in the catalog and add it to the mashup builder, they will see the widget in the category they selected. Then they can add it to a page, edit settings, configure it, and wire it just like they can with any other widget in the palette. If you select Widget definition and artifacts, you upload the widget package as a ZIP file. When users access the widget in the catalog and add it to the mashup builder, the widget definition and all the artifacts associated with the widget get deployed and installed on the Mashup Center server.
Parent topic: Working with widget builder wizards : Mashup Center 2.0