This example shows how to create an Atom feed of insurance policy holder information for the state of Texas.
Before you begin
Estimated time to complete this example
: 10 - 15 minutes
About this task
The Policy Holders Data Mashup
is available in the catalog when you install Mashup Center. Compare the data mashup you are working on to the completed data mashup in the catalog to help you understand how to build data mashups. To view the example data mashup, select the data mashup from the catalog. This displays the details about the data mashup. Select Edit As New
to open another data mashup builder tab. You can compare the contents of the two data mashups in the two tabs.
The Policy Holders Data Mashup is composed of these data mashup builder operators:
- Source operator: Imports the data from the Policy Holders feed. The Policy Holders feed contains 400 rows of information for policy holders in Arkansas, Florida, and Texas. It is available in the Mashup Center catalog.
- Filter operator: Filters the source data, allowing only the data for the state of Texas to remain in the feed.
- Publish operator: Outputs the data in the Atom feed format.
Information about adding operators to the canvas, along with other tips, can be found in the data mashup builder help. This help is available in the data mashup builder, on the right of the action bar by clicking the ?
The Mashup Center installation contains many example objects that might change in future releases. Do not import any of the preinstalled examples into the Source operator when you build a data mashup. Instead, create a copy of that example for your own use by following the example instructions.
Table of contents
- Overview of Tasks
- Connection to the Internet
- Supported browser
- Internet Explorer 6.0 SP3, 7.0, 8.0 (Windows® only)
- Mozilla Firefox 3.6 (Windows and Linux®)
- Safari 5.0 (Mac OS only)
- For the most current information about system configuration, consult the Detailed System Requirements for IBM® Mashup Center.
- Logged in to Mashup Center
Overview of tasks
- Start the data mashup builder.
- Add a Source operator to import the Policy Holders feed.
- Preview the data.
- Add a Filter operator to keep only the policies from Texas.
- Publish the data mashup as an Atom feed.
- Run the data mashup to verify the output.
- Save the data mashup to the catalog.
- On the Home:Catalog page, click Create and select New Data Mashup to start the data mashup builder.
- Add a Source operator to import the Policy Holders feed:
- Double-click the Source operator from the left side of the data mashup builder. The operator is placed on the canvas and the Source operator window opens.
Tip: An alternative method is to click and drag the operator from the left side of the data mashup builder to the canvas.
- From the Properties tab, type Insured in the Name area.
- Select From Catalog and click Browse.
- Type Policy Holders in the search area and click Search.
- Select the feed called Policy Holders. Click OK.
- From the Advanced tab, select the following:
Preview the data:
- Feed Type: ATOM
- Repeating Element: Leave this default setting.
- Refresh Interval: 1 day
The data will not change, so setting the refresh interval to one day improves performance.
Add a Filter operator to retain only the policies from Texas:
- Click the Preview tab to view the data.
- Expand entry -> content -> row to see the state element.
In the next step, you will filter the output by state. If no data displays, see Troubleshooting .
- Close the Source operator window.
Publish the data mashup as an Atom feed:
- Double-click the Filter operator to place it on the canvas.
- Drag the Filter operator to the right of the Source operator.
- Drag the plug of the Source operator to the socket of the Filter operator.
- Click the Filter operator to open the Filter operator window.
Tip: The first operator placed on a new canvas of the data mashup builder automatically opens the operator details window. Each subsequent operator must be clicked to open the operator details window.
- From the Properties tab, type Texas in the Name area.
- Under the Input element select Specify a value from the Input tree.
- Expand content -> row -> state. Select the text value under the state element.
- Click OK.
- For Comparison select =.
- For Value type Texas.
- Select the Preview tab, and examine the data. Verify that the entries are for the state of Texas.
- Close the Filter operator window.
- Connect the Filter operator to the Publish operator.
- Click the Publish operator to open the Publish operator window.
- From the Properties Tab, type or select the following values:
Close the Publish operator window.
- Feed Type: ATOM
- Title: Policy Holders Data Mashup
- Author: Your user name.
- Rights: All
Run the data mashup to verify the output:
Save the data mashup to the catalog:
- Click the Run icon to run the data mashup and view the results as XML.
Running the data mashup displays the results in a new tab or window in the browser.
- Click the Save icon to save the data mashup to the catalog.
- In the Save window type or select the following values:
- Title: My Policy Holders Data Mashup
- Description: Texas policy holder information
- Version: 1.0
- Tags: texas, policy holder, example data mashup
Sometimes live feed data on the Internet is unavailable.
- If preview or run output does not appear, paste the source URL into a browser window to verify the behavior outside of the data mashup builder.