When an iWidget is imported to create a new widget, it is wrapped with additional code that allows the iWidget to be easily moved to other IBM® applications with mashup builders. Use this widget type so that you can move iWidgets from one application to another and share iWidgets with others.
Before you begin
You can import iWidgets from IBM products, Lotus® Greenhouse, or other web sites.
Because most iWidgets are written to run only within the application that they were shipped with, there might be instances where an iWidget does not work properly when imported or when running in another application.
You can import lightweight iWidgets and iWidgets in WAR format. However, you cannot import WAR-based iWidgets from the catalog or from Lotus Greenhouse without first deploying them to an application server environment such as the mashup builder. A WAR-based iWidget stored in the catalog is in a packaged form that cannot be run. To run a WAR-based iWidget, it must be deployed to an application server.
About this task
Use the editors on the left to customize the widget. As you make changes, the results are refreshed in the widget on the right.
- On the Home:Catalog page, click Create and select New Widget.
- In the Import Existing Widgets category, select Import an iWidget and click Next.
- Resize the widget by selecting preset values, entering values in the input fields, or by dragging the lower-right corner of the widget.
- Select the iWidget to import by doing one of the following:
- Select an iWidget from another IBM application or from Lotus Greenhouse:
Enter the URL for the XML definition document of the iWidget in the iWidget URL field.
- Click Browse iWidget Catalog to display a list of catalogs.
- Select a catalog from the menu, enter your user ID and password if needed, and click Next to display the list of iWidgets available in that catalog.
- Select an iWidget to import and click Next to import the iWidget using its default properties.
Click Edit iWidget Settings to customize the properties of the imported iWidget.
Customize the header and footer of the widget by selecting one of the following options:
Customize the background and theme of the widget by selecting from the following options:
- Default Style: Select properties for the header or the footer. Some of the properties can be customized.
- Custom Content: Use a WYSIWYG editor to fully customize the header or the footer.
- None: Remove the header or the footer.
Select whether to include the Add To button in the lower-right corner of the widget. This button enables users to move the widget to different mashup environments, to bookmark the widget in Lotus Connections, and other actions. See Adding widgets to other applications and sharing widgets.
Enter the details for how the widget is managed in the catalog. See Specifying the object details and registering the objectWhen you complete the prerequisites and unique steps to create an object, you must specify the details about the object. You must complete this step before the object can be registered in the catalog..
- Chromeless: Remove the header and footer from the widget and fill the widget with content only.
- Theme: Select a background color and a complementary text color for the widget.
- Solid Background: Remove the gradient background color from the widget and replace it with the solid color specified in the Theme selection.
- Background Image: Specify a background image to override the selected theme with an image.
Parent topic: Creating widgets in Mashup Center: imc3