The data mashup builder is a graphical interface that provides easy-to-use tools that business users, Information Technology professionals, and developers can use to quickly generate data mashups.
With the data mashup builder, you can do the following tasks:
- Import XML, JSON, Atom, or RSS feeds from the Internet, an intranet, or the catalog. The feed or feeds are used as the source for the data mashup.
- Aggregate, manipulate, and restructure data or content feeds. You use the operators in the data mashup builder to manipulate the feeds. You can filter or sort data based on specific values. You can combine the data from multiple feeds into one feed and you can specify a new output structure for a feed.
How do I create a data mashup?
You create a data mashup by connecting a series of operators together. The basic steps are:
- On the Home:Catalog page, click Create and select New Data Mashup.
- Drag a Source operator onto the data mashup builder canvas. A Publish operator is automatically added to the canvas. The Details window for the Source operator displays.
Select another operator to manipulate the data from the source feed. Drag the operator to the canvas. For example, the Combine operator.
- On the Properties tab for the Source operator, specify the location of the source.
- Use the Preview tab to see the content of the source before you connect the Source operator to another operator.
Figure 1. Source, Combine, and Publish operators
Drag the plug from the Source operator onto the other operator to connect the operators. For some operators, you must plug in more than one source. The following graphic shows the Source operator plugged into the Combine operator.
Figure 2. Source operator plugged into the Combine operator
Connect additional operators as needed to complete the data mashup.
Connect the last operator to the Publish operator to complete the data mashup.
- On the Properties tab for the operator, enter the parameter information for that operator.
- Use the Preview tab to see the results of applying the operator to the source data.
Figure 3. Two source operators plugged into the Combine operator, which is plugged into the Publish operator
Click the Save icon to save the data mashup to the catalog.
You can use an existing data mashup as a template for a new data mashup. In the catalog, display the details for the data mashup that you want to use. Select Edit As New
to open the data mashup builder.
Data mashup examples
One way to learn to use the operators is to step through one of the data mashup examples. The IBM® Mashup Center information center
offers numerous examples to help you quickly understand how to create data mashups.
A copy of each completed example is stored in the catalog, so that you can compare your example results with the completed example.
Parent topic: Data mashups: imc3
Builtin functions: imc3
Creating userdefined functions: imc3
Specifying the data mashup details and registering the data mashup: imc3
Using an existing data mashup to create another data mashup: imc3
Editing data mashups: imc3