AJP FilmIT 16.Sep.04 08:02 AM a Web browser Notes Client All Releases All Platforms
I know everyone keeps shouting for more. More functionality, more integration, more more more.... And progress is a good thing. But sometimes users just don't want or need all the bells and whistles. A lot of the functionality is at best ignored or just confuses users, at worst causes maintenance nightmares.
Sure, there are advanced users, power users or even the odd 'Intelligent' users who wants to and knows how to use some or all of these functions. However, there are lot functions that I can see no practical use for by the majority of users. It should be possible to turn off either at the database or the client (ECL perhaps). Also those functions that are listed but greyed out or the user is not authorized to use should not even be visible.
Please don't get me wrong, I love the Notes Client and long may live with as many bells and whistles as Iris, IBM and whoever else can squeeze into it. I what more, more flexibility please.
I've been given a list of Notes Client functions that a customer wanted removed as they believed them to be part of the database design, and I thought I'd share it. I have added a few of my own notes.
Your comments, observations, omissions, discussion, suggestion and rejections welcome.
1) Functions that I can see no practical reason for the general users:
- View > Show > Hidden From Notes
- View > Show > Pass-Thru HTML
- View > Show > Java Applets Running
- View > Image Resources...
- View > Switch Form (how dangerous is this? I know you can prevent it by not having any forms in the Create Menu but why would you want a user to switch a form anyway?)
- Document Properties > .. most of the tabs
- Actions > Edit HTML Attributes (what is a user going to do with this option?)
- File > Tools > Debug Lotus Script (I can give examples of a user with Client only (no designer) and Author access to a db who used Debug and modified variable values "because he wanted to see what it did" !!
- File > Tools > Show Java Debug Console
2) Functions that should be hidden when not authorised
- Create > Agent...
- Actions > View Options > Rename..
- Actions > View Options > Design..
- Actions > View Options > Move..
- Actions > View Options > Remove View..
- View > Agents
- View > Customize This View...
3) A designer/administrator should be allowed to block these Functions completely.
(Private views are a maintenance nightmare and should be banned unless they are part of the original database design and can be deleted using GetView)
- Create > Folder...
- Create > View...
- View > Go To > .... (Why when a designer has spent hours designing the perfect frames and outline would you want a user to the user View > Go To ??)