Imran Ashraf 30.Aug.05 04:12 PM a Web browser Applications Development All Releases All Platforms
Below are some risks outlined in our organization. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on that?
Lotus Notes Domino has a number of restrictions and weaknesses that present significant technology risks.
• Notes applications do not integrate well into larger solutions. While some options for backend data integration exist, they are error-prone and difficult to support.
• Notes applications trend towards a highly conversational and chatty network protocol, which in turn, degrades application performance and drives up network costs.
• Notes Domino solutions require an iterative approach to architecture, design and performance tuning. That is to say; the architecture and design of an application (and how it supports the business’ needs) can only be effectively validated post-implementation (due to the availability of useful metrics).
• Notes is a niche technology and as such has proven difficult to deliver a predictable solution. Lotus Notes Domino expertise, especially when dealing with various aspects of integration to external systems, is also a niche competency at IBM. As such, companies have experienced significant response latency when requesting support for particular Notes application issues.
• Existing applications will eventually experience an upgrade to Lotus R7 with a DB2 data store replacing the traditional Notes Storage Facility (NSF) infrastructure. Significant database redesign effort will be required to convert from proprietary NSF format to relational database structure in order to take full advantage of DB2 capabilities, so that future business requirements can be met
• Lotus Notes is undergoing significant core architectural changes with version R7 and future WebSphere based versions. As such, there will be a significant technical risk for existing applications, as these upgrades take place in the environment.
• Notes Storage Facilities (NSF) data sources lack support for large files. As applications mature and the amount of data increases, data corruption may occur.