Since our last upgrade of our administration server and of the directory template, we have a strange problem with our already created Policies.
Before upgrade, we used lot of organizational policies named like this template : */BrandName/CountryCode/AreaZone/OurORG
Everything worked correctly, but few days ago, our Users support center alerted us than they couldn't setup client anymore. Before the end of the client Setup (with user's parameters), they had error message displayed: "Entry not found in the index:"
At the same time, we discovered than when we expected to modify a policy or create a new one, the name was changed automaticaly when we save it like this template :
Hazardously, the both problems were linked.
To solve the problem :
We had to edit all our policies one by one, save it (with the wrong calculated name), and edit it once again, remove the wrong added text at the end of the name and save it.
Can you please advice me.
Feedback number WEBB7ANDLD created by Sylvain PEPIN on 01/08/2008