This is a know issue with 8.02 and 8.5. We are working on a solution for 8.5.1, in the mean time, here is the suggested workaround.
How can I delete the icons of Lotus Notes from the desktop?
Notes 8 Standard does not provide the ability to modify generated Notes icons through a MSI transform file. You can however continue to do this for Notes 8 Basic.
This is considered an enhancement request as this functionality would require significant work effort from the Notes offering install team, Expeditor core install team, and Global Install Handler to implement this. This would be new functionality to the Expeditor line.
Here are the instructions for preventing Notes and Symphony icons in Notes 8.x using Win32 platform:
On Windows before installing 8.0.2:
1) Go to Control panel
2) Open the System control panel entry
3) Select advanced tab
4) Click the Environment Variables button to select the environment variables settings
5) Click the New button in the lower half of the panel under the section entitled "System Variables"
6) For Variable name enter: RCPIGNORELINKS
7) For Variable value enter: true
8) Click Ok until all panels are closed
9) Reboot the system to make sure the variable takes effect
10) After reboot open a command prompt and type the command "SET" to verify the RCPIGNORELINKS=true value appears in the environment. If it does not appear, please repeat the steps 1-9 again.
11) Perform the Notes install
This value must be set as a SYSTEM environment variable and can not be set in the command prompt. This is because during the install some of the install processes are run as SYSTEM and just setting the environment variable as the user will not take effect.
If the customer wants to install the Domino Admin and Designer clients without icons, these additional steps must be followed:
1) Obtain the InstallShield Tuner for Lotus Notes from your IBM service representative.
2) Install the InstallShield Tuner for Lotus Notes with default values.
3) Invoke the InstallShield Tuner program and browse to locate the configuration file that has a .itw file name extension. The .itw configuration file is located in the same directory with the Notes installation that you want to configure.
4) Click Create a new transform file.
5) In the Select an MSI file field for the Microsoft (R) Windows(R) Installer Package option, select the msi file (Lotus Notes 8.0.2.msi).
6) In the New project name and location field for the Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Installer Transform option, enter the custom transform name. Save the file to the same path on which the install kit resides.
7) Click create.
8) Select Shortcuts.
9) Right click each Shortcut icon that is not wanted on the desktop and select Delete.Repeat for Program Files if desired.
10) Make any other necessary modifications.
11) Click Save.
12) After creating the transform file, you apply the transform file to the installation process. The installation process then uses the values that you set in the transform file in place of default values.
More details on transforms can be found in the section "Using transform files for end-user installations" in the "IBM Lotus Domino Administrator Help" guide.
As far as the inability to prevent creation of icons through a transform or on initial install, this is considered a separate problem. An enhancement request was submitted and is currently being investigating in SPR: PFON7EFLZV
Changing the Notes icon path using ... (Wayne Bennett 12.Mar.09)
Feedback response number JMIL7Q4G93 created by Jeff Mitchell on 03/13/2009
. . Workaround / known issue (Jeff Mitchell 13.Mar.09)
. . . . has this issue been fixed? (Chan Richard 26.Sep.09)
. . Adding notes.ini (Minesh Pandya 26.Mar.09)