I use multiple locations having a different ID selected by the location, easier than switching IDs.
Also switching the location helps with switching a lot of other parameters/configurations:
1) The ID file.
2) The Home Server.
3) The e-mail database (application?? stupid name for a database).
4) Wether the e-mail database is used on a server or locally.
5) Having a connection document that is specific for a location lets me use different IP addresses when I am on the company LAN or am connected to the internet from home or from a hotel ... (IP address translated by the NAT Firewall to a valid internet address, not the internal company address.)
This cenario is frequent, but seems that IBM Quality Assurance team has not tested anything.
It was bad on the beta, but it is still the same on the Gold.
Problems related to this cenario, (there may be more that I have not yet identified):
1) I have set the Workspace as the homepage, after switching locations I no longer have any homepage.
2) I started the replicator page from the open menu, it works, then I replicated and tried to open the local mail file from the OPEN menu (Location says mail is on local).... Notes tries to open the file on the server instead of opening the local one.
3) Suddenlly I have two replicator pages acessible on the tabs...the first one looks like it got the space from the homepage and nothing works on it, clicking on buttons to start replication results in no action, clicking on an entry in the list of databases does not select it, totally dead.
The second Replicator page is the one that works...
I have not even tried using the Administrator client after switching locations, it was a mess in the beta and probably continues to be.
Please fix that behavior for 8.0.1 at least.
If this kind of functionallity will be dropped from the product, please say so and we will adjust our expectations.
New functionallity looks nice, but old functionallity has to continue working.
Starting the "old style" client double clicking on nlnotes.exe shows that this works, but with the Java Eclipse layer things get messed up.
P.S.: Sorry, but the product needs fixing before our customers get exposed to it.
This seems still to be a beta build...
By the way, will things that have been discussed in this forum be changed ? Things like the color of the text in the Inbox view, or will there at least be some simple option available that is not changing css styles ?
Switching Locations that have a dif... (Alexandre Schoc... 19.Aug.07)
Feedback number ASCH768QKY created by Alexandre Schoch on 08/19/2007
. . Location Document/ID Switch (Roland Reddekop... 19.Aug.07)