Using the chart conversion tool included in WebSphere Dashboard Framework 22.214.171.124
WebSphere Dashboard Framework 126.96.36.199 is published on the IBM Support Site at Fix Central
and available for customers to download.
This document contains information about the chart conversion tool included with WebSphere Dashboard Framework 188.8.131.52. The tool converts GreenPoint WebCharts (used in releases before WebSphere Dashboard Framework 6.1.5) to the ILOG JViews charts engine, introduced with WebSphere Dashboard Framework 6.1.5.
For more information about charts, see Getting to know the new charting features in WebSphere Dashboard Framework 6.1.5
The conversion tool is built into the "Upgrade" button on the following builders, which were deprecated in WebSphere Dashboard Framework 6.1.5:
- Web Charts - Enhanced
- Summary and DrillDown
- Automatic Drilldown
- Status Page
The conversion tool performs these two tasks when you upgrade the builder:
Conversion tool limitations
- It maps the builder inputs from the deprecated builder to appropriate inputs in the new builder.
- It transforms the Greenpoint WebCharts3D style (in XML format) to the ILOG JViews chart style (in CSS format).
Upgrading a project and chart-enabled builders
- Dial charts cannot be upgraded. Create these directly in ILOG JViews tools manually.
- Pyramid charts are not supported in ILOG JViews charts. The tool converts pyramid charts to bar charts.
- Step charts are not supported in ILOG JViews. The tool converts them to stair charts.
- ILOG JViews supports PNG and JPG chart images. Other image types used in the deprecated builders are replaced with PNG images.
After you apply this fixpack, modify previously created projects to incorporate fixpack improvements.
Upgrading a project
To incorporate fixpack changes into a project, follow these steps:
Upgrading chart-enabled builders
- Start WebSphere Dashboard Framework Designer and load a project.
- In the navigator, right-click the project and click Upgrade Project Version.
- When prompted, click OK. The project is upgraded to use the latest plug-in components.
- Click Yes if you are prompted to overwrite existing files with newer versions.
- Click Yes to deploy the project and upgrade the deployed development and portlet WAR files.
- In the navigator, right-click the project and click Properties.
- Click WebSphere Portlet Factory Project Properties -> Feature Info.
- Select Refresh installed Feature Sets and click OK.
Troubleshooting upgraded builders
- Open a model that contains one of the four deprecated builders listed above.
- Open the builder call editor. The builders are marked "Deprecated".
- Click the Upgrade button in the builder call editor. A new builder window opens.
- View or modify the default inputs, then close the window.
- Return to the deprecated builder call editor. Click Apply or OK to save the change, which disables the deprecated builder.
- Open the log file to check for any elements from the WebCharts xml style file that were not converted. The log file is stored in the same folder as the original WebCharts style file. It has the same file name as the converted ILOG chart style file, with ".log" as the extension.
- For example: WebContent/solutions/dashboard/chartstyles/Bar.log
- Save the model after you upgrade all builders in the model.
- Repeat these steps for every model that contains any of the deprecated builders listed above.
The following list explains possible causes for warnings and messages you may see after you click the Upgrade button.
Supported WebCharts3D style settings
|Warning/Error Messages||Possible causes|
|The original chart type Pyramid is not supported by the Charts builder. The default chart type will be used instead. || You selected "Pyramid" as the chart type.|
|The original chart type Step has been replaced by the chart type Stair in the Charts builder. ||You selected "Step" as the chart type. |
|The original image type SWF is not supported by the Charts builder. The PNG type will be used instead. ||You selected an image type other than "PNG" or "JPG". |
|The chart style stored in the variable cannot be handled and may cause errors in runtime. ||You used an indirect reference for the chart style file. An indirect reference may return an XML file or snippet rather than CSS in your original application. |
|The WebCharts format chart data is not supported by the Charts builder. ||You chose WebCharts3D format chart data, which is not supported in this builder. |
|The original custom dial style cannot be used for the Status Page builder. The default dial style will be used instead. ||You chose a custom dial chart style in the Status Page builder. |
|The original custom dial style cannot be used for the Charts builder. The default dial style will be used instead. ||You chose a custom dial chart style in the Web Charts - Enhanced builder. |
|The original style file is null. ||You chose a custom chart style, but did not specify a chart style file. |
|The original style file does not exist.||The style file path is invalid. |
|An error occurred while transforming a WebCharts3D style to an ILOG JViews style. ||The conversion tool has encountered something in the WebCharts3D style that it cannot process. |
Most WebCharts3D properties can be upgraded to WebSphere Dashboard Framework 6.1.5. The list below shows the properties that are supported by the conversion tool. Items in bold
are category names. Their sub-properties start on the next line.