This sample consists of a set of four cooperating portlets that communicate using Portlet Factory events with client-side delivery, and which use partial-page refresh. The techniques illustrated in this sample include:
- Using server-side event handling to update the MVC "model"
- Using client events to refresh the MVC "view" using partial-page refresh
- Firing client-delivered events using a chart click action
Here is a screenshot of the running sample:
There are four interesting things to click on:
- the search/filter portlet lets you select a subset of the employees to be displayed in the browse and chart portlets
- clicking on the employee ID in the browse portlet will display that employee in the details portlet
- similarly, clicking on a pie wedge in the chart will show the corresponding employee
- deleting an employee in the details portlet (harsh!) will take this person out of the overall list, causing the browse and chart portlets to update
Notes on running the sample and prerequisites
Import the attached zip file into your project using the Import WebSphere Portlet Factory Archive command. The samples/events_partial_page/TestContainer model can be run standalone from the designer to see the four portlets together on one page; if you wish to deploy these portlets to WebSphere Portal, you can lay them out like Test Container does or however you wish.