WebSphere Portlet Factory allows you to build Java Portlet Standard (JSR168) portlets and package them up to run on platforms supporting a Java Portlet Standard Container. Lotus Expeditor and Lotus Notes 8 which is built on the Expeditor platform, support a JSR168 portlet container and running portlets along with rich client components in composite applications on those platforms. With the release of WebSphere Portlet Factory 6.0.2, you may now build and package WPF Portlet Web Application Bundles (WAB)s for use on these rich client platforms.
Development and Deployment Process Articles
Please read or at least skim these articles before trying WPF on Expeditor or Notes 8 yourself.
- Deploying and running a WPF portlet on Lotus Expeditor
- Provisioning WPF based WP Composite Applications to Expeditor
- Building a Notes 8 Composite Application with a WPF portlet a must read before trying WPF on Notes 8.
- Accessing Cloudscape/Derby from a WPF Portlet in Lotus Expeditor
- Expeditor and Notes 8 supports a JSR168 Portlet Container, and Property Broker, it is not a full WebSphere Portal. Just as you cannot use WebSphere Portal specific APIs in the WAS6.1 JSR168 Portlet Container, you cannot use those same non-existent WP-specific APIs (eg, PUMA) in the Expeditor or Notes 8 JSR168 containers.
- The default Java VM that ships with Expeditor (jclDesktop) does NOT support AWT or Swing, so you must upgrade your Expeditor/Hannover to use the J2SE Java VM (available on the Expeditor DRE CD / update site), to use WebCharts (the 3rdParty charting jar relies on AWT/Swing classes that only exist in a full Java VM). Note, Notes 8 does ship with and use a full J2SE VM, and thus does not have this issue.
- WPF Drag and Drop support cannot be used across portlets in a rich client composite application because the rich clients actually render each portlet in a separate embedded browser control rather than as multiple sections of the same browser page.
Documentation and Related Information
Note 8.0.0 TechNote describing how to get/install the Expeditor JSP Translation Bridge needed for WPF support.
NOTE: that extra update site and steps described in the TechNote are NOT needed for Notes 8.0.1 and later.
WPF 6.0.2 Documentation - Overview of Rich Client Platform support
WPF 6.0.2 Documentation - Building WPF Web Application Bundles (WABs) for the rich client platforms
Deployment options for Eclipse and Notes 8, part 1
Deployment options for Eclipse and Notes 8, part 2
IBM developerWorks WebSphere Portlet Factory and WebSphere forums
Lotus Expeditor Site
Lotus Expeditor Support Site
Eclipse Article on Update Sites and Update Manager
IBM Lotus Composite Application Blog
IBM Lotus Composite Applications Public Blog RSS Feed: http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/rss/CompApps?flavor=rssdw