Use the Data Field Modifier builder to modify one or more fields created by a Data Page builder call.
If a Data Page builder call creates one or more elements in the form structure, you can use the Data Field Modifier builder to perform the following operations.
- Prevent elements from being displayed in the form.
- Alter the behavior of elements in the form from their default behavior (for example, change a field into an input such as a radio box).
- Alter the display and layout of elements in the form.
- Format, translate, and validate data in fields.
This builder allows detailed individual customization of a specific page element. To be able to encode and reuse the customization of fields that are defined in a schema and apply them in a standard way, consider using the Rich Data Definition builder instead of this builder.
In most common applications of this builder, these are the inputs you need:
- Specify in the Field Selector Tool input whether to search for available fields by name, type, or both name and type. In the related inputs, you can hide elements, specify label generation, and indicate whether the formatting applies to repeated elements.
- If a field that you are modifying is a container, specify the inputs in Container Settings. You can add labels and HTML controls, and specify data paging.
- Use the Field Settings inputs to determine how fields are rendered, for example, whether data entry is allowed or whether an action is associated with the field.
- If a field that you are modifying is not a container, you can use the inputs in Formatting to format, translate, and validate data in the field. In the Formatter Class input, specify the Java class that contains the methods to use. IBM® WebSphere® Portlet Factory supplies the following Standard Formatter class to get you started.
Key objects this builder creates
Use the Design panel in the model editor to see the results of this builder in your model.
The following sample shows you the use of the Data Field Modifier builder.
The model shows the modification of fields and containers and lets you contrast unmodified and modified forms.
Parent topic: Builder help
About using the builder call editor
Validating data fields
Overview: creating forms
Data Page builder
Paging Assistant builder