This quick start guides you through the steps to create a project and run an application using the WebSphere® Application Server Community Edition (WAS CE).
You can use WebSphere Application Server CE to enable quick and easy development and testing of applications. You have the option of installing WebSphere Application Server CE when you install IBM® WebSphere Portlet Factory.
The WebSphere Application Server Community Edition (WAS CE) is an open source Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) application server based on Apache Geronimo.
Creating a WebSphere Application Server CE project
Follow these steps to create a basic project for use with WebSphere Application Server CE.
- Launch the Eclipse client into which you installed by clicking Start -> All Programs -> IBM Websphere Portlet Factory -> Designer. If you are presented with a welcome page, close it.
- From the menu, click File -> New -> WebSphere Portlet Factory Project.
- Enter a project name without any spaces, for example, MyFirstProject. Spaces and certain special characters are not permitted in project names. Click Next.
- At the Feature Set page, expand Tutorials And Samples and select the options Building Models, Making Builders, Tutorials, and Widgets to install all of the shipping sample applications. Click Next.
- In the Server Configuration dialog box, choose the WASCE Application Server configuration that was supplied with your WAS CE installation. This configuration points at the locally installed WebSphere Application Server CE server and is used whenever you test and run your application from WebSphere Portlet Factory Designer.
- Click Finish to create the project.
- If prompted, click Yes to open the WebSphere Portlet Factory Perspective in Eclipse.
- Click Yes to start the WebSphere Application Server CE server.
- Click Yes to publish your project now.
Running Your Sample Using WebSphere Application Server CE
Follow these steps to run a sample application using the WebSphere Application Server CE project file you created in Creating a WebSphere Application Server CE project . You can now run a sample application on the server to test that everything is properly configured.
- In the Project Explorer view, expand the project to the models folder. All of the models you create in other tutorials go into this same folder.
- Locate the OrdersServiceConsumer model inside the models/samples/gettingstarted folder and double-click it to open it:
- From the menu, click Run -> Run as -> Run active model or click the Run icon in the toolbar.
- Click Run to run the model. WebSphere Portlet Factory Designer runs a web browser and opens the model using its URL.
If everything is configured correctly, you see a web application in the browser. It is not necessary to do anything with this application. Simply displaying the application in the browser confirms that the setup is correct and that WebSphere Application Server is running the application.
Parent topic: Tutorials for IBM WebSphere Portlet Factory