|Command-line interface to update Portal v8 response files Tags: 8.0, installation, installation manager, installing, silent install, response file, WebSphere Portal, Portal, Web Content Management, WCM, Enable, Extend, Server, Unix, script
ShowTable of Contents
To install WebSphere Portal v8 silently, you are required to provide an xml response file. This can be obtained by using the IBM Installation Manager GUI to record a response file. However if you do not have a GUI environment, this is not a valid option for you and you must manually edit a response file provided on the WebSphere Portal v8 Setup media. Manually editing this xml file can be tedious and confusing.
The attached script (updateWP8ResponseFile.sh) is designed to make this process easier on the user by providing a command-line interface with easy to understand prompts that update the response file for you.
- For Linux, AIX, and IBM i platforms supported by WebSphere Portal v8
- WebSphere Portal v8 media must be present locally on the system in which you intend to install the product.
- Non-root users only. Ensure you have downloaded PM64484 from Fix Central.
- Must use a sample response file provided with the WebSphere Portal v8 Setup media. For example, Setup/responsefiles/enable_standalone_full.xml.
Version 1.1 (20121108)
Version 1.0 (20121012)
- Adds support for non-root installations
- Prompts for PM64484 zip locations and updates response file accordingly
- Alters the AppServer, PortalServer, wp_profile and ConfigEngine paths as appropriate
- Linux/AIX: Adds the SDK feature to the WAS installation (32 or 64-bit, depending on choice)
- Uncomments the relevant SDK fix based on platform and bit. Comment out any irrelevant SDK fixes and alters SDK fix versions to match what is appropriate for the system.
- Adjusts Portal features based on selection of Binary installations and DMGR profile.
- Adds/adjusts appropriate properties for DMGR profile creation
- Adds/adjusts appropriate properties for customizing the Portal context root if desired
- Installs Installation Manager for you if it is not already installed
- Encrypts the passwords for you
- Error-checking to prevent mistakes that might lead to installation failures or problems later on
- Launches the silent install for you (optional)
- Logs to updateResponseFile.log
- Non-root installations. The WebSphere Portal v8 installation, out of the box, fails for non-root installations. A defect has been opened to address this (PM64484). Ensure you have downloaded this fix prior to using this script.
- Use for initial Portal installations only. If you install multiple copies of WebSphere Application Server and WebSphere Portal silently on your server, you are required to alter the Profile ID in the response file to something unique for each installation. This script does not do that for you automatically. As a workaround, you can use the script up until the last prompt, which is for installing the product. Select NO and then alter the generated response file to use unique values for the WAS and Portal profile IDs.
- Solaris. This script has not been tested on Solaris. The 32-bit or 64-bit question will likely not work here due to the edits made to comment and uncomment the relevant SDK fix (one for Solaris is not provided). This will be addressed in a later version of the script.
- Copy the attached script (updateWP8ResponseFile.sh) to your system
- Ensure you have execute rights for the script.
- Launch the script:
IBM i: updateWP8ResponseFile.sh
- Follow the prompts
Note: It is recommended that you use the offering_standalone_full.xml file for any installation. The script will make the appropriate adjustments for a base or binary install if desired, and for DMGR properties if desired.
This script was created by WebSphere Portal Level 2 support and is provided AS-IS. Support will be provided only
via comments to this page. Feature requests welcome as well!