In addition to continuous content updates, many organizations plan to restructure their website, or introduce new websites or new sections and to have these changes go live with the migrated system. During migration planning and execution, it is important to understand how to manage structural change at the same time as keeping regular content updates synchronized.
Options for keeping data synchronized during migration
Web content library export and import
Cross version syndication is supported on these versions:
- From Web Content Manager version 126.96.36.199 with CF26 or higher.
- To Web Content Manager version 188.8.131.52 with CF09 or higher.
On these systems, syndication is used to synchronize web content after an initial migration. Syndication replaces the existing function of a post migration data update. See Cross version syndication
A Web content library export and import can be used during migration. However, there are important limitations which preclude the usage of these tools in most migrations. A Web content library export and import can be used when updates are isolated to a small library on the source system. Export and import should only be used where simple modifications or additions are happening in the source system. A Web content library import must not be used to update content which has changed since the last import.
- Use cross-version syndication to keep the syndicator on your new system synchronized with the syndicator on your old system. These are usually your authoring servers.
- Updates that are applicable to both the old and new systems are made on the old syndicator.
- Updates that are only applicable to the new system should be made on the new syndicator.
Any changes made on your old system will override changes made on your new system. If making updates on both systems, it is recommended that the items updated or added to the new system are unique to that system. If not, changes on your new system can be replaced by changes from the old system.
Parent topic: Using cross-version syndication to migrate from Web Content Manager version 7.0