A social portal, referred as a social digital experience
, is a website that brings together people
, and content
. The amalgamation of these three important components offers some of the following benefits:
- Enhancing the ability to respond to customers faster and more cost effectively.
- Increasing sales by improving customer loyalty.
- Attracting and retaining customers by responding faster and more accurately to their needs.
- Improving employee productivity by providing easy access to information and subject matter experts.
The social digital experience allows people to interact with your organization using their channel of choice (web, social, and mobile).
IBM WebSphere Portal Server, in conjunction with IBM Connections, provides the realization of this social digital experience to customers, partners and employees by integrating their respective components. IBM WebSphere Portal Server offers solid web content management and applications (via portlets) while IBM Connections adds social applications such as blogs, wikis, activity streams, social file sharing and bookmarks.
This integration is offered out-of-the-box using the IBM Connections portlets for WebSphere Portal. Alternatively, because of open nature of both platforms (REST based service enabled) and the extensive tooling available (Rational Application Developer, Script Portlets, WebSphere Experience Factory), this integration can be custom built to meet very specific requirements.
Examples of this integration, or putting social in context, include:
- Surfacing a discussion forum alongside an application to provide assistance to users.
- Providing an activity stream on users' home page to display what information is new or changed.
- Displaying social objects related to an object the user is currently viewing based on, for instance, the same author, same tag, etc.
The marrying of social capabilities with a website offers countless opportunities to create an engaging and effective social digital experience to users.