Script portlets benefit both IT and business:
- It is easier for business to hire IT resources that understand HTML, CSS and JS than it is to hire resources that understand portlet technology.
- The ease of developing scripting portlets enables business to utilize portal for their use cases as opposed to duplicating platforms to achieve the required functionality.
- The nature of script portlets allows developers to gradually learn more about the portlet programming model over time.
- Some portlets (rich client side requirements) lend themselves more easily to script portlets.
- Simple and powerful development environment for developers of all skill levels.
In order to successfully implement scripting portlets, a number of prerequisite skills and tools are recommended.
- Tools availability: A web browser with debugging capabilities. Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox (with the Firebug addon installed) are good candidates.
- Websphere Portal Server: It is recommended that your WebSphere Portal is at at 188.8.131.52, (cumulative fix) CF9.
The sections describes the installation and development of script portlets.
We cover the following topics in the subsections: