IBM Connections portlet interacts with IBM WebSphere Portal using two mechanisms
IBM Connections portlet interacts with IBM WebSphere Portal using two mechanisms. They are :
- Using Propertry Broker to provide eventing between Tags Portlet and other Details Portlet. (covered in separate section Configuring tags and service portlet)
- Using Shared Render Parameters for navigation from IBM Connections Summary Portlet and Portal Search Center to IBM Connections Details Portlet.
IBM Connections portlet uses Piece of Content (POC Resolver) and Shared Render Parameter in combination to render the exact connections data in request within the IBM Connections Details portlet.
In this process, Search Center and Connections Summary Portlet generates the required POC URLs. When user clicks on such link, the call goes to Portal POC resolver and then based on the URL, it delegates the call to Connections Portlet POC resolver.
This POC resolver identifies the required portal page and then from POC URL, it extracts the required values and publishes required Public Render Parameter which enables portlets to display the right data.
So before moving forward it is important to verify below preconditions:
- Connections Portlet POC resolver jar is properly installed. This jar must be available in Portal Shared/app directory.
- IBM Connections Portlet is installed and configured properly.
There are two broader categories how POC Resolver handles navigation. Any Connections content could either be community content or standalone content. Further there could be three possibilities from the type of Search result or Summary portlet item for which navigation is requested.
- Search result/Summary portlet content belongs to the community which is having a page configured on this portal. In this case, POC resolver will take user to the configured community page where required portlet is deployed and can render data.
- If search result is community item, but for this community no page is configured on the portal. Then this content would be treated as standalone content.
- Standalone connections content is rendered in default (non community pages/portlets) in portal.
For any search result for which we have mapped community page in portal, we need not perform any separate configuration. POC Resolver identifies the community page and then calls the most appropriate page which has corresponding portlet deployed on page.
Configuring Standalone content navigation
For this, POC resolver requires the parameter Page unique name value set in the page where required portlet is deployed to navigate.
For example to setup navigation for any connections profiles result, there must be a portal page in which profiles portlet must be deployed. In addition, you must provide the required Page parameter by following the steps below:
1. Login to portal as portal administrator and navigate to Administration and then drill down to Manage pages option. There, it will list down the pages hierarchy.
2 Navigate over the pages and locate the page where profiles portlet is deployed and you want user to navigate from Search Center or summary portlet for non com-munity standalone connections content. You may see Edit Page Properties icon besides the page name. Click on that to enter into page properties.
3 This will let you specify Unique Name for this page. For profiles navigation page, unique name must be ibm.conn.profiles as shown in the screen shot below.
4 Click OK
on the page below. It will take you back to the page listing view and this page would get listed with its Unique name as below.
5. After completing step 4, you have enabled POC resolver to locate and navigate user to this page when user will click on any profiles stuff on search center result or summary portlet.
6. To setup Navigation pages for other connections services like Blogs, Forums etc… repeat steps 2.2 and 2.3 and provide service specific unique name as specified in table below.
Connections Service Portlet
Page Unique Name
After specifying proper page unique name it should look something similar to below screen.
By Specifying the Page Unique name to the pages on which we want to navigate when a search result came from specific connections service type content.
The IBM Connections Portlet deployed on that will surface the search result.
This article is one of several which describes how to configure the search component:
5.6 Searching across Portal and Connections