Go to Parent topic: 6.3 Action a Workflow Action Request via an Embedded Experience Open Social Gadget]
Configure a HomePage administrator to be able to add OpenSocial gadgets
OpenSocial gadgets must be registered, or added to the existing “whitelist”. This prevents unknown and untrusted gadgets from being introduced into the system. Only trusted gadgets for specific events can be used, whereas all other events use the default gadget. In the next couple of sections we setup connections so that it trusts and accepts our reference to our newly created gadget.
To make the OpenSocial gadgets available for use in the Activity Stream, you need to add the gadgets from the Administration tab in the Home page user interface and then enable them for use.
1. In a web browser, navigate to URL: https://connections.demos.ibm.com:9043/ibm/console
2. Log in with the following credentials: wasadmin/passw0rd.
3. On the left, select Applications → Application Types → WebSphere enterprise applications.
4. On the right, click the link for Homepage.
5. Under the Detail Properties section, click the Security role to user/group mapping link.
6. On the next page, place a check beside “admin” and click Map Users...
7. In the Search and Select Users section, search for “dmisawa” and click Search.
8. From the Available list, highlight “DMisawa” and click the right arrow to move his name to the Selected list. When finished, the Selected list should look as follows:
9. Click OK. You should see “DMisawa” under the mapped users for the admin role.
10. Click OK again. When you return to the Homepage Configuration page, click the Save link at the top.
11. Click Logout to exit the Integrated Solutions Console.
Configure a new OpenSocial gadgets for IBM Connections
1. In a web browser, navigate to URL: http://connections.demos.ibm.com/homepage
2. If prompted, accept the certificate. Log in with the following credentials: dmisawa/passw0rd
3. On the left, select the Administration link.
4. On the right, under the “Disabled widgets” section, click the Add another widget button.
Gadget specific registration settings
1. Specific information is required for a gadget to be registered to IBM Connections. See below for details.
Indicate if you are registering a gadget or iWidget. In this example we will be registering a gadget.
Indicate if this is a “restricted”, “trusted” or SSO gadget, In this example we will be using SSO/Trusted
Although the term is “trusted” trusted gadgets are still “locked”
SSO access has major security implications and breaks all of the security features of the product
UI Integration points:
Indicate if this gadget is intended for use in the ActivityStream or Share Dialog.
Note: this setting has additional security implications for “feature access”
Server access via Proxy:
Indicate server access. You can restrict access to
In this example we will use All servers.
Servers not in the SSO domain (only outside the intranet)
Customer setting that gives the gadget no access. You must enumerate the server access elsewhere.
Map service to OAuth client to this gadget.
In later steps, you will be creating the gadget.
2. Enter the following information for the gadget so that it is registered in IBM Connections. Failure to register a gadget will cause those events to display the default gadget
3. Scroll to the bottom and click Save.
4. In the “Disabled widgets” section, highlight the WCM Approval Gadget entry.
5. Underneath the “Disabled widgets” section, click Enable.
Associated articles and topics
This article is one of several describing how to to create an OpenSocial Gadget to action a workflow action:
6.3 Action a Workflow Action Request via an Embedded Experience Open Social Gadget
This topic is part of the Pattern 3 description: