By default, the smartphone and tablet device classes are already defined for you. You can use these device classes in rules that you create. If your mobile device is not recognized using the default smartphone or tablet device classes, you can add your device as a client to these default classes by navigating to Administration
-> Supported Clients
-> Add new client
or by creating an XML script.
When you add your device to the default classes, your device inherits and uses the responsive web design theme when displaying content. You can import the XML file in Administration
-> Import XML
or by running XML access directly.
You can also create custom device classes rather than using the default classes. Clients that are assigned to custom classes use the desktop theme. For custom classes to have a responsive theme based on the type of device, you must develop custom themes for your class. See the Responsive Web Design section for more information.
To add a client to a device class, you need, at a minimum, the following information about your device:
- User-agent pattern
- Client capability
Use the table to learn more about the options available to you for defining device classes.
Table 1. Define device classes to use later with the Device application object in rules that you create. Select one of the options below to define device classes.
Parent topic: Device application object: Device class attribute
Responsive Web Design
|Add client definitions to already defined device classes. The smartphone and tablet device classes are examples of device classes provided to you by default.||
- Go to Administration -> Supported Clients -> Add new client to enter information about the client.
Note: Refer to the product help for more detailed instructions for adding new clients.
- In the User Agent field, enter the name of the client. For example, enter *.useragent.*
- In the Manufacturer field, enter the name of the company that manufactured the client.
- In the Model field, enter the model number or name of the client.
- In the Capabilities field, enter the specific capabilities of the client, and click Add.
To add tablet capabilities, enter the following information:
To add smartphone capabilities, enter the following information:
- From the Position menu, select the order in which you want this client entered in the client registry. It is recommended to place the most specific user agent patterns at the beginning of the list.
- Click OK to save the new client that you added.
|Create client definitions, and add to existing device classes.||You can also create client definitions through an XML file containing the device information. See the Device classes topics in the Developing Themes and Skins section for more information and examples.|
|Create custom class definitions, and add client information to your class definitions.||Class definitions may also be created through an XML file containing the class information. After creating your device class, you must add appropriate clients using XML. You might need to create a custom theme for this class. See the Device classes topics in the Developing Themes and Skins section for more information and examples.|