Implementing custom IBM Connections queriesAdded by IBM | Edited by IBM on June 13, 2014 | Version 3 (Show original)
|IBM® Connections provides a comprehensive remote API. You can use this API to access social data through Atom feeds.
For more information about the API, read IBM Connections 4.5 API Documentation
You can build custom queries for social data by constructing corresponding query URLs. To render the result of such a query on your portal pages by using IBM
Web Content Manager design components, proceed as follows:
Parent topic: Extending social lists by using the Digital Data Connector
IBM Connections 4.5 API Documentation
- Identify or create the list-rendering profile for the data format that your query URL serves.
For example, your query might use the IBM Connections Forums remote API to query for a specific set of forum topics. In this case, you can use the forum topics ibm.portal.sr.forums.topics profile to transform the result documents that this URL serves.
- Establish the list-rendering context for this query. To do so, specify your query URL as a source attribute, and address the appropriate IBM Digital Data Connector (DDC) for WebSphere® Portal plug-in that can handle your request.
You have two choices:
- If the profile that you use is based on the profiles that are included with IBM WebSphere Portal Version 188.8.131.52, you can use the social rendering DDC plug-in.
- If you use a custom list-rendering profile, you can use either the generic XML DDC plug-in or a custom DDC plug-in that you deployed.
Example: To retrieve the list of all public communities, you establish the list-rendering context as follows:
- To render the result, you must render a List Appearance component of Digital Data Connector. In that component, you extract the individual pieces of information. You do so by using the [AttributeResource] tag and the attribute names that the list-rendering profile that you use supports.
Example: In the community query that is shown in the previous step, you can render a link to a detail view of the community. You do so by adding the following markup to your Result Design section of the DDC List Appearance component:
List-rendering profiles for your custom IBM Connections queries
<a href="[AttributeResource attributeName='link']">
Starting with fix pack 11 for IBM WebSphere
Portal Version 184.108.40.206, social rendering includes a set of profiles for rendering lists. You can use them with the IBM Digital Data Connector (DDC) for WebSphere
Portal plug-in ibm.portal.ddc.sr
Dynamic source URL construction for your custom IBM Connections queries
To dynamically construct IBM
Connections custom query URLs, you can use the [Plugin:ConnectionsContext]
Organizing your custom IBM Connections queries
For the different query URLs that you want to use, you can create multiple dynamic or static IBM
Connections query URL components. For convenient use of these query URL components, you can create a generic authoring template for all list definitions that you want to build from those queries.