How to enable inline item creation with an authoring tool component
To enabled inline item creation with an authoring tool component, you select Enable inline item creation
under the New action properties
section of the authoring tools component form.
Once enabled, when a user clicks the new action tool on the rendered web page, a small dialog is displayed where a user enters the name of the new item. No other fields are displayed.
For inline item creation with an authoring tool component to work:
- the authoring template must use a multiple stage workflow with the initial stage being a draft, or the authoring template has workflows disabled.
- the location for the new item must have been predefined in either the authoring template, or the authoring tool component.
- the portal page the authoring tool is displayed on must be in edit mode.
If any of these requirements are not met, the normal inline item creation dialog is displayed instead.
How to use inline item creation with an authoring tool component
Inline item creation with an authoring tool component works best when:
- the item created using the authoring tool has a valid page mapping so that the new item is automatically opened in the correct page.
- the authoring template used to create the content item contains some default content and metadata. For example, the Title field could be pre-filled with the sentence "Add your title here".
- the presentation template used by the new content item uses editable property and editable element tags so that the user can immediately update the new content item.
- if using a workflow, you should select Allow templated items to be saved in the first draft stage even if the item fails field validation when creating the workflow. This will allow users to create draft items that do not meet all field validation requirements.
This ensures that the user is taken to an inline edit ready content item when they create a new item using the inline authoring tool.
Parent topic: Enabling inline editing for content items