It would be nice to have details on your issues, which to my knowledge have not been reported elsewhere.
Some SmartSuite questions:
* Please confirm that SmartSuite was installed by running the file setup.exe with admin privileges and with "Windows XP-SP2" compatibility.
* Are you running Word Pro itself with admin privileges? I refer to the setting for wordpro.exe in the file's Properties dialog, not to the user log-on.
* Do you have a printer installed? Word Pro is very sensitive to driver issues and may be unstable when no printer is available. Your observation that problems begin only after loading a document makes me suspect a driver or video issue of some sort.
* Have you tried other printers and/or drivers? An easy test is to switch to a PDF or XPS virtual printer instead of a paper printer. You could also switch Word Pro into draft mode, where the printer driver is not needed to render the page, and then compare the CPU usage.
Some Windows & PC questions:
* What is the make and model of the PC?
* Do you have SP1 for Win 7 64-bit installed and are Windows updates current?
* What is the display resolution and have you tried a lower one? If that helps then we know that there is a video problem. SmartSuite users have reported fixing problems by changing to a lower resolution.
* Does it help to change the theme to Windows Classic?
* If User Account Control is on, does switching it off help (or vice versa)?
* Which anti-virus or security suite is active, and what happens with your issues if you disable it?
The Windows 7 feature "Problem Reports" stores details of recent application crashes. There may be clues in the errors shown there or in the Windows event logs. Please pass along anything notable.
I would also do a detailed comparison of the setup of your 32-bit machines vs. the 64-bit one. This would include a comparison of programs running in the background, printers, video, and desktop settings, etc. A good starting point is to run the free Belarc Adviser download on the machines in question and then compare the reports.
I have given you quite a list, which you may not have time or inclination to respond to in full. My point is that only after ruling out the more usual culprits can we conclude that 64-bit itself is problematic for Word Pro. I don't have access to a 64-bit machine myself, but others who do have not reported major issues.
>"I believe we do not have any of the 6 fix-packs installed, so version is simply 9.8.0."
I suggest upgrading to SmartSuite R9.8.2, which is a free download:
The changes to Word Pro since R9.8.2 have been minimal and 1-2-3 has not changed at all. I doubt that upgrading will affect your 64-bit issues. However, since you have the Win 7 dev machine to work with, you have the opportunity to test R9.8.2 with your applications.
"SmartSuite forums and downloads"