ShowTable of Contents
Which versions are supported?
Microsoft Office Integration (OI) was first introduced in Sametime (ST) 7.5.1. OI features are only supported on Windows platform and only available on the stand-alone Sametime Connect client. We recommend to deploy the latest Sametime version and on the most up-to-date Hotfix (HF) release. Refer to Doc # 7007792
for more details.
As of February 2011, the latest version is ST Connect 8.5.1 with HF 22.214.171.124 supporting MS Office XP (2002), 2003, 2007 on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit & 64-bit). MS Office 2010 is not yet supported, but it is in the plan for the near future.
What type of environment is OI design for?
OI is design for existing environment with Microsoft product suite. Client productivity applications such as MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Severs such as MS Exchange server for mail, Active Directory server for directory service, and SharePoint server for web base collaboration.
How does Sametime fit into an existing Microsoft environment?
There 2 types of server deployment scenarios. Notice the requirement that all servers are connected to a common directory.
ST Community & ST Meeting Classic on the same server.
ST Community & ST Meeting (8.5+) each on a separate server.
What are the features offered by OI?
Microsoft Outlook calendar availability: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.exchange.feature"
The feature will allow the ST Connect to read the Outlook calendar, then change the user awareness status according to the calendar entries.
The feature also provide the Chat transcript to be save to a folder in Outlook
Sametime Connect integrator for Microsoft Office: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.smarttags.feature"
This feature will an ST Recognizer in Smart Tags
The Smart Tag will use ST Recognizer to determine the words typed as name from the user's contact list.
The Smart Tag will allow Sametime actions to launch a chat or Instant Meeting. In addition to MS Word, Smart Tag is an option in MS PowerPoint and
Excel. Hence, the Sametime functionalities are available as well.
Sametime Connect integrator for Microsoft Outlook: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.toolbar.feature"
The ST toolbar is added into Outlook.
The Sametime Toolbar Tab is added in Options for configuring Sametime preferences.
Synchronize Contacts: contacts can be sync between the Outlook and Sametime
Sametime meeting integrator for Microsoft Outlook: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.webConfTab.feature"
The feature adds an ST OnlineMeeting custom form to provide additional fields when creating an online meeting.
Outlook COM Add-ins will show ST as add-ins available and enabled.
This feature adds ST Meeting functionalities when you schedule a meeting in Outlook calendar. Sametime tab is added when creating a calendar entry.
The Sametime Meetings tab is added in Options for configuring server information.
Sametime Connect integrator for SharePoint: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.sharepoint.feature"
This feature adds presence information and ST action menu inside SharePoint. Only Internet Explorer is supported.
Note: feature id="com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.standalone.feature"
This is the core feature that all 5 OI features are depended on. The OI features must be enabled according to the instructions given in the later section. com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.oi.sharepoint.feature is an optional feature if you do not have a SharePoint server in your environment.
How to enable OI features?
The OI features are disabled by default, there are 3 components involved to enable those functionalities.
The ST Community server
LDAPServer document, the result search filter must include(legacyExchangeDN=%s)
Search filter for resolving person names:(&(objectclass=organizationalPerson)(|(cn=%s*)(mail=%s*)(legacyExchangeDN=%s)
Search filter to use when resolving a user name to a distinguished name: (&(objectclass=organizationalPerson)(|(cn=%s)(mail=%s)(legacyExchangeDN=%s)
(See attached file: stconfig.nsf)
Modify the sametime.ini:
under the [Directory] section. Include the following parameter:
The MS Sharepoint server (optional)
do these steps if you have an MS Sharepoint server and want to have ST Presense information in Sharepoint pages with names. Refer to ST 8.5.1 Information Center Setting up Office SharePoint Integration
The Sametime client installer
Sametime Connect client
1. Download part CZII3ML Sametime client 8.5.1 from PassportAdvantage.
2. Extract part CZII3ML: SametimeStandardClient\sametimeclient.standalone\Windows
3. In \Windows, extract sametime-connect.exe
4. Open in a text editor: \sametime-connect\deploy\install.xml
5. The features are commented out. You must include back in to enable them by removing the brackets around them ( ). The features are:
6. Open in a text editor: \sametime-connect\deploy\plugin_customization.ini
7. Change com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=false to true
8. Now you are ready to execute setup.exe
The Sametime Outlook Integrator
This is a separate installer from the sametime-connect.exe. If you are already using sametime-connect.exe, you do not
need to install this. The purpose of sametime-outlook-integrator-8.5.1.exe is that you don't want to install the ST Connect client and only wanted one specific feature - Sametime meeting integrator for Microsoft Outlook.
1. Download part CZII3ML Sametime client 8.5.1 from PassportAdvantage.
2. Extract part CZII3ML: SametimeStandardClient\sametimeoutlook\self-extract\sametime-outlook-integrator-8.5.1.exe
3. Execute setup.msi
How to apply Sametime Connect Hotfix (HF)?
Beginning with ST Connect 8.5.x, all HF are cumulative. The latest HF with the latest date will replace the HF with an older date. You only need to apply the HF with the latest date.
Steps to install HF. This example will be using ST Connect 126.96.36.199
1. Download ST Connect 188.8.131.52
2. Extract sametime.hotfix.win32_20101021-2122.exe
3. Make sure ST Connect and all MS suite products are terminated.
4. Run setup.exe or setup.msi
Note: For a mass deployment, the Administrator can use distribution software such as SMS or Altiris utility.
What are the local client interactions between the ST Connect, MS Office suite, and the web browser?
This section will serve as information reference for a deep dive understanding of OI architecture. Hence, it will enable you to troubleshoot when unexpected behaviors are encountered.
Microsoft Outlook Calendar Availability Architecture
When only ST Connect is launch, it will make a call to the Automation Mode to launch Outlook in the background. You will not see the actual Outlook GUI running in the foreground. However; you will see OUTLOOK.EXE as running Processes in Task Manager. The design is to give ST Connect ability to access Outlook calendar entries and write to Sametime Transcript folder in Outlook.
Sametime Connect integrator for Microsoft Office & Microsoft Outlook Architecture
The ST Connect is built on the Eclipse Expeditor (XPD) platform. One of the core component is the XPD MicroBroker, which enables local TCP/IP connection to STHelper then subsequently connect to the MS Office suites to provide presence information.
Sametime Meeting Integrator for Microsoft Outlook
OutlookOptionsAddin and OfficeWCAddin leverage MS WinHTTP API to send HTTP requests to ST Meeting server to launch a meeting. Within the HTTP request a ST token is embedded to authenticate with the ST Meeting server.
Sametime Connect integrator for SharePoint
The SharePoint integration is also dependent on the XPD MircoBroker connecting to STNamelib to provide presence information in the SharePoint page.
How to troubleshoot OI?
The OI Components do not show
Are the Eclipse plug-ins installed & enabled in ST Client?
-Default plug-ins are present & enabled
-Specific optional plug-in(s) is present & enabled
-In the ST client plug-in management panel
-Optional components not installed
-Badly customized install.xml (i.e. malformed XML)
-Administrative access rights prevents copying of DLLs in brokerbridge directory
-You must have admin access rights to install ST Client !
Are the COM add-ins registered?
Check the registry
-InProcServer32 is the location of the DLL
-One registry location to check per add-in
-Manual registration: regsvr32
Are the Add-ins enabled in the application?
-Check in individual application – depends on application & version
-Outlook 2007: Tools > Trust Center > Add-ins > COM Add-ins > Go ...
-Word 2007: Office Button > Word Options Add-ins > COM Add-ins > Go ...
-Add-in must be present and checked
-Add-in can be added on the spot (“Add...” button). Select the relevant DLL in the brokerbridge directory
Caveats in the UI
-Toolbars may be shown / hidden by user
-Office 2007 Ribbon
All users show disconnected within Outlook inbox
Is the connection between OI & UIM established?
-MicroBroker TCP/IP Server Connection on port 51883
-Check: netstat -a
-Check the plugin_customization.ini: com.ibm.collaboration.realtime/startBroker=true
Are the Active Directory users being resolved?
User ID provided in Outlook email must be resolved to a Sametime user
How to test resolution?
1. Open directory in text editor: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Lotus\Sametime\.config\rcpinstall.properties
2. Add "com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.brokerbridge.level=ALL" to the bottom
3. Terminate ST Connect and all MS suite products
4. Clear directory: C:\Documents and Settings\r\Application Data\Lotus\Sametime\logs
5. Launch ST Connect & Outlook
6. Outlook: select an internal email from inbox.
7. ST Connect: Help -> Support -> View Log
- Look for “LiveNameResolve”
- It Will provide internal ID
8. ST Connect: File -> New -> New Contact: Type in “New Contact” lookup dialog
9. Should return one & only one match
How to fix it?
- Indentify LDAP field used by Exchange intenally
- Manual search: look in the LDAP for the field that matches the internal ID you have identified by looking in the logs
- Some good candidates: dn, legacyExchangeDN, SAMAccountName
- Add the field to the Sametime LDAP search filter in the “LDAP Directory – Searching” page in the STConfig on the Sametime server
Meeting integrator: cannot schedule a meeting
-Client proxy configuration: Start -> Run -> cmd -> proxycfg
Use ProxyCfg.exe to set proxy settings
Microsoft (R) WinHTTP Default Proxy Configuration Tool
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
proxycfg -? : to view help information
proxycfg : to view current WinHTTP proxy settings
proxycfg [-d] [-p ]
-d : set direct access
-p : set proxy server(s), and optional bypass list
proxycfg -u : import proxy settings from current user's
Microsoft Internet Explorer manual settings (in HKCU)
-Sametime tab doesn't show in invitation (see ST OnlineMeeting custom form above)
1. Go to the Outlook Calendar
2. File > Folder > Properties for Calendar
3. Set “When posting to this folder use:” to “ST OnlineMeeting”
SmartTags: User names / email not underlined in Word, etc ...
1. Are the plug-ins installed & enabled ?
2. Are the COM add-ins registered ?
3. Are SmartTags enabled ?
Office Button > Word Options Add-ins > SmartTags > Go ...
Person Name (English)
Person (Lotus Sametime Recognizer)
What do I need before contacting Sametime Support?
- Operating system version + SP
- Office Version + SP
- Clear the logs and enable Tracing com.ibm.collaboration.realtime.brokerbridge.level=ALL
- Sametime Workspace content: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Lotus\Sametime\logs
- Export of registry keys
What are the known issues?
- OI language comes from “Regional and Language Options” in Control Panel
- Not always the same as OS, or Office language.
- Default selected language when installing ST Connect
Instant Meeting (Classic) vs Meeting 8.5+
There will be different button beginning with ST 8.5.1
- ST Instant Meeing
- ST Meeting 8.5+
Default mail format affects OI Toolbars
- Only Office XP/2003 if Word used as email editor for Rich Text messages
- Outlook default is HTML in Outlook 2007 +
- Setting preferences >Tools > Options... > Mail Format > change to Rich Text
- Sametime Options tab not displaying correctly
- Outlook limitation
- Not all versions affected
- Set the “Language for non-Unicode programs”
Author & Content Contributor
Thinh M. Hoang
L2 Sametime Support
Advisory Software Engineer
L3 Sametime Development