You can change the transport protocol that IBM
® Media Manager uses for the SIP Proxy and Registrar.
About this task
SIP makes use of elements called proxy servers to help route requests to the user's current location, authenticate and authorize users for media services, and provide Sametime
® Media features to users. SIP also provides a registration function that allows users to send their current locations for use by proxy servers.
The transport protocol determines the network transport mechanism to use for sending SIP messages. The SIP proxy application examines all requests sent by the Sametime
Media Manager to determine whether a given request is sent by an appropriate proxy application. All requests are routed according to the transport protocol defined here.
In a multiple machine deployment where Sametime
Media Manager components are installed on different machines, you must update the SIP transport protocol on all components: Conference Manger, Packet Switcher, and SIP Proxy and Registrar. Moreover, if you change the SIP transport protocol from TLS to TCP, then the port changes are automatically reflected in the stavconfig.xml
file on the Conference Manager. You must manually change the ports in the stavconfig.xml
files of the Packet Switcher component.
- Log in to the Integrated Solutions Console.
- Click Sametime System Console -> Sametime Servers -> Sametime Media Manager.
- In the Sametime Media Managers list, click the deployment name of the Sametime Media Manager.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Under Server Integration, select a Transport protocol of TLS or TCP. UDP is not supported.
- Set how frequently in seconds you want SIP to check if a client is still connected. Enter a number between 30 and 300 in the Session expiration field.
- Click OK.
- Update SIP Registrar security role settings by following these steps.
- Log in to the SIP Proxy and Registrar.
- Click Applications -> Enterprise Applications.
- Click IBM SIP Registrar setting.
- Under Detail Properties, click Security role to user/group mapping.
- Change security role settings from All Authenticated in Application's Realm to Everyone if the protocol is updated to TCP. Do this by selecting the check box for the AllAuthenticatedUsers role, then select Map Special Subjects and select Everyone. Leave All Authenticated in Application's Realm if the protocol is selected as TLS.
- Restart the Sametime Media Manager.
What to do next
If you have deployed the Conference Manager, Packet Switcher, and SIP Proxy and Registrar on separate application servers, and you have changed the SIP transport protocol from TLS to TCP, the Conference Manager stavconfig.xml
file automatically reflects this change. You must edit the stavconfig.xml
files on the Packet Switcher to reflect this update by changing the secure ports to nonsecure ports. Follow the steps in Enabling ports for Transport Layer encryption for an upgraded Sametime Media Manager
Parent topic: Administering a Sametime Media Manager