When a user starts the Sametime
® Connect client with a Direct connection
preference, the client connects to the Sametime
Community server using a unique Sametime
protocol over TCP/IP. By default, the Community Server listens for this connection on port 1533. Use this preference when the connection does not need to occur through a proxy server, and the network does not block TCP/IP connections on the port used by the client.
Before you begin
A successful connection depends on these prerequisites.
- The client's preferences for the server community must contain a valid Host server and Server community port for a TCP/IP connection.
- The Sametime Community Server Connection Settings for Client connections, as defined in the Sametime System Console, must match the Host server and Server community port specified in the client. The default port is 1533.
The connection can fail if it must pass through a proxy server or network that prevents direct TCP/IP connections on the specified port.
About this task
Follow these steps to select the Direct connection
method for the client.
- From the Sametime Connect client, click File -> Preferences.
- Do one of the following:
- To select this connection method for all server communities, click Server Communities. Under Global connection settings, click Direct connection and click OK.
- To select this connection method for only one server community, click Server Communities, select the server community name, and open the Connection tab. Deselect Use global connection settings, then click Direct connection and click OK. Click OK to close the Preferences window.
This connection is the same as the Use my Internet Explorer HTTP settings
preference for a user who has no proxy selected in Internet Explorer.
Parent topic: Choosing a method for connecting to the Sametime Community Server
Connecting the client through Internet Explorer HTTP settings
Configuring Sametime Community Server connectivity