Considerations for upgrading the Sametime Connect clientAdded by IBM on November 23, 2011 | Version 1 (Original)
|There are several things you need to know before users upgrade the IBM® Sametime® Connect client.
There are several things you need to know before users upgrade the IBM
® Connect client.
About this task
Before upgrading the Sametime
Connect client, note the following changes for this release:
Parent topic: Upgrading Sametime clients
- Upgrading the client will not change the workspace location.
Upgrading continues to use the existing location.
- Upgrading the client will not upgrade the optional Office Integration features.
If you do not upgrade them (by uncommenting them in the 8.5.2 manifest) or remove them (by uncommenting them and setting action="uninstall" in the 8.5.2 manifest), the older version will be carried forward.
- Interoperability between servers and clients installed with different Sametime releases
A Sametime client installed with a release prior to 8.5 works with an 8.5.x Community Server without Media Manager installed.
A Sametime 8.5.x client works with Sametime servers installed with a release prior to 8.5; however, new policies and configurations are not available without a Sametime System Console.
- Sametime Unified Telephony plugin must be uninstalled before upgrading the Connect client
Clients running the Sametime Unified Telephony plugin from a release prior to Release 8.5.1 must uninstall the plugin before upgrading the Connect client because the plugin is not compatible with newer releases. Remove the older plugin using operating-system features such as Microsoft Windows Add/Remove Programs.
The location of the workspace does not change for this release. There is no special preference migration required when upgrading from previous Sametime 8.0.x releases.
When upgrading from an 8.0.x client, the existing install location is presented as a read-only text box. The only option is to upgrade the client instance in the existing location.
When installing on a Windows machine that already has an existing 7.5.x version of Sametime Connect installed, the existing program directory for 7.5.x should not be used for the upgrade installation because the default installation directory for this release is different from the default location used for 7.5.x. Do not manually change the installation directory to install into an existing 7.5.x location. This will result in a nonfunctioning installation, because the installer will by default attempt to remove 7.5.x at the end of the install. When 7.5.x is removed, its installation directory is cleaned up, which will also remove the newly installed files.
- Upgrading the Connect client on Linux®
When upgrading from an 8.0.x client, the RPM command first installs the new client and then uninstalls the older client.
- Upgrading the Connect client on Mac OS X
When upgrading from an 8.0.x client, the installer will replace the older client.
- Audio/video (A/V) interoperability between releases
- All 8.5.x clients (8.5.0, 8.5.1, and 8.5.2) can interoperate with each other and use any 8.5.0, 8.5.1, or 8.5.2 servers.
- IBM Sametime Connect clients or Sametime embedded clients require a Sametime Media Manager server running Release 8.5.1 or later to be able to make or receive computer audio (voice chat) or video calls.
- Microsoft™ Windows XP Tablet PC is not supported.
- Sametime Media Manager includes additional security and audio-visual quality features that work with clients running Release 8.5.1 or later only. To support 7.5.x, 8.0.x, or 8.5 clients running on an 8.5.1 or later server, disable these features until all clients are running 8.5.1 or later:
If you leave these features enabled, 8.5 and earlier clients cannot use audio-visual features provided by the Media Manager.
- Clients running releases earlier than 8.5.2 cannot have audio and video communications across a NAT (Network Address Translator) or firewall.