Defining the host server and port for connecting to a Sametime Community serverAdded by IBM on November 23, 2011 | Version 1 (Original)
|The Sametime® Connect client uses the Host and Server community port preferences to determine the host name and port it should use when attempting a connection to the Sametime Community server.
® Connect client uses the Host
and Server community port
preferences to determine the host name and port it should use when attempting a connection to the Sametime
Before you begin
Verify the Connectivity
settings for client connections set for the Sametime
Community Server. The client's successful connection depends on defining the correct host name, port, and connection method for the server.
- Under Client Connections, type the fully qualified Host Name and Port from which Community Services listen for direct TCP/IP connections and HTTP-tunneled connections from the Community Services clients.
- Under HTTP Tunneled Client Connections, type the fully qualified Host Name and Port from which Community Services clients can make HTTP-tunneled connections to the Community Services multiplexer. Community Services clients can make HTTP-tunneled connections on both ports 80 and 8082 by default.
- Under HTTPS Tunneled Client Connections, type the fully qualified Host Name and Port from which the Community Services clients attempt HTTPS connections when accessing the Sametime Community Server through an HTTPS proxy server.
About this task
Follow these instructions to define the host server and port for a server community.
- From the Sametime Connect client, click File -> Preferences.
- Click Server Communities.
- Do one of the following:
For an existing community, proceed to the next step. For a new community, provide a community name and Log in information.
Click the Connection tab.
Provide a Host server and port. The method chosen for connecting to the server may also affect the Host server and port you use here.
- To add a new server connection, click Add New Server Community.
- To change an existing server connection, expand the Server Community list and select the community name.
For an existing community, click OK to close the Preferences window.
- Host server
The client connects most efficiently when the Host server matches the home Sametime server defined in the user's Person document.
If you have set up a rotating DNS system for load balancing, specify the DNS name (for example, sametime.cscluster.com) of the rotating DNS system in this field.
If you have set up a WebSphere® Edge Server to perform load balancing, users must enter the IP address or DNS name of the WebSphere Edge Server machine in this field.
- Server community port
The method you choose for connecting to the server also affects the port setting. For example, if you choose Direct connection using HTTP protocol and the client that operates behind a firewall that only allows outbound connections on port 80, you must change the default port from 1533 to port 80.
For a new community, click OK to save and then OK to close the Preferences window.
Parent topic: Connecting the Sametime Connect client to the Sametime Community Server
Choosing a method for connecting to the Sametime Community Server
Configuring Sametime Community Server connectivity