Run the installation program on the machine where you plan to install a Sametime
® Proxy Server.
Before you begin
If your server uses multiple IP addresses or one or more network interface cards, verify that the host name you will specify during installation resolves to the correct IP address. If the host name does not resolve properly, you may encounter problems during Sametime installation.
You should have already created a deployment plan for the Sametime
Proxy Server. Verify that the deployment plan is in the "Ready to Install" state and start the Sametime
System Console server.
The launchpad installation program launches a web browser to start. You need to be on the console or have an X server and a web browser installed and configured. (VNC or a remote Xterm session works as well). The graphical library pages must also be installed for Linux so that the Installation Manager works correctly. The /home directory must be writable so that the home directories for the users created by the install are created on the system. AIX®, Linux, and Solaris:
If you are installing using the GUI mode, the full X11 desktop environment is required. Attention:
Check the hosts
file and remove any lines that start with the following:
- 127.0.0.1 fully_qualified_domain_name short_name
- ::1 fully_qualified_domain_name short_name
These lines must be removed before installing any Sametime
server running on WebSphere
® Application Server. An issue with WebSphere
Application Server causes the server installation to fail if these lines are in the file. Save the file if you make changes.
About this task
By using the deployment plan you created earlier, you have fewer selections to make when you run the installation program.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux only: Disable Security Enhanced Linux on any Red Hat operating system.
- Log in as root on the Linux Red Hat server where you will install the software.
- Open the /etc/selinux/config file for editing.
- Locate the SELINUX setting. Change its value to either disable or permissive.
- Save and close the file.
- Restart the Linux server.
- Log in to your computer as the system administrator on Microsoft™ Windows™ operating systems or as root on Linux operating systems.
Solaris only: The installation must be performed by the root user using su or a normal login session. Independent sudo packages are not supported on Solaris.
- Prepare to use the Proxy Server installation package.
- To download installation packages:
- To download installation packages, you must have an IBM® Passport Advantage® account. For information on using Passport Advantage, see the topic Using Passport Advantage to download IBM products.
- Open the Download document for the release you want to install:
Sametime 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 (Sametime 8.5.2 must be installed first)
Locate the components that you need in the document's listing, then download the packages labelled with the corresponding part numbers to the system on which you are installing.
When extracting downloads on Windows
operating systems, use a short path location such as C:\ and not a long path location such as the user's desktop
directories. When extracting to long path locations or deeply nested directories and using the built-in Windows
extract utility, corruption is sometimes seen without any warning. This corruption occurs when maximum path lengths on some Windows
versions are exceeded.
- If you are installing from physical media and your operating system mounts CDs or DVDs automatically with execution privileges turned off, mount the CD or DVD manually instead.
Mount the CD or DVD using the SMIT utility or the appropriate version of the following command:
mount -v cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD using a command similar to the following command:
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD.
- Navigate to the folder where you stored the downloaded files and start the installation program by running one of the following commands:
AIX, Linux, and Solaris
Note: If you do not have a web browser, go to the Installation Manager package directory and run the installation program (install for Linux or install.exe for Windows). Find the Installation Manager package directory here:
If necessary, select a language other than English from the Select a language list.
Click Install IBM Sametime Proxy Server and click Launch IBM Sametime Proxy Server 8.5.2 installation.
If the IBM Installation Manager is not installed, you are prompted to install it. Do so, then click Finish to restart the Installation Manager and continue with the next step of the Sametime installation.
sametime_server_package is the installation package name for this server.
platform is the operating system on which you are installing.
If you do not see a prompt, continue to the next step.
If the server is connected to the Internet, skip this step. Otherwise, disable the automatic web update search to allow the installation to run successfully.
Select the packages that you want to install and click Next.
Click the I accept the terms in the license agreements option and click Next.
Select a package group option and accept the installation directory. Then click Next.
- In the Installation Manager window, choose File -> Preferences.
- Uncheck Search service repositories during installation and updates and click OK.
Select Create a new package group if you have not installed any other Sametime software on this machine.
Select IBM Sametime Proxy Server as the feature to install and select Use Sametime System Console to install. Click Next.
At the Common Configurations WebSphere Application Server Location screen, accept the default Use Sametime installed WebSphere Application Server if you are not specifying a different installation of WebSphere Application Server. Otherwise choose Use other WebSphere Application Server and confirm the path to this installation location. Click Next.
At the Common Configurations SSL Login screen, supply values for connecting to the Sametime System Console.
Leave Use the existing package group selected if you are installing several Sametime servers on the same machine.
Provide the host name for the machine you are currently using, which is the same name you used when you created the deployment plan for this installation.
- Host Name: Provide the Host Name for the Sametime System Console. The Host Name was determined when you installed the Sametime System Console. The host name must be the actual host name and not a DNS alias.
- Use SSL: Leave this option selected to run the server over a secure connection.
- HTTPs Port: Leave 9443 as the default value.
- User ID and password: Provide the WebSphere Application Server User ID and password that you created when you installed the Sametime System Console.
Do not use an IP address or short host name.
Click Validate to log in to the Sametime System Console.
The button name changes to Validated after you log in.
When you are logged in, click Next.
Select the Sametime Proxy Server deployment plan you created earlier with the Sametime System Console guided activity. Then click Next.
Review the deployment settings, then click Next.
Review the summary, then click Install to start the installation.
When installation is complete, click Exit to close the Installation Manager.
If the Sametime Proxy server is installed on a system with multiple active IP addresses, follow these steps for each Proxy Server in the cell. Otherwise the Community Server may reject connections from the Proxy Server.
Now update the server with Sametime 8.5.2 Interim Fix Release 1 to install the latest features.
- Add the Proxy Server's IP address to the stproxyconfig.xml file used by the Proxy Server's deployment manager. Complete this step for each Proxy Server in the cell.
- Find the stproxyconfig.xml file in the Proxy Server's deployment manager profile configuration in this location:
Add a localip
setting with the IP address that corresponds to the host name of the Proxy Server specified during Proxy Server installation. Save the file.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
- Synchronize the Proxy Server deployment manager with each Proxy Server application server node.
- Log in to the Proxy Server deployment manager's Integrated Solutions Console.
- Choose System Administration -> Nodes.
- For each Proxy Server application node, select the node and click Full Resynchronize.
- Restart the Proxy Server.
If the installation was not successful, look at the installation log files for more information about what occurred during the installation attempt. Fix any problems, then uninstall all components and reinstall. Find information in the logs
directory and the ant
You can use the collectLogs
utility to gather the logs. collectLogs
is located at the root of the installation media.
AIX, Linux, or Solaris
Console connection log: /tmp/SSCLogs/ConsoleUtility0.log
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\IBM\Installation Manager\logsWindows 2003
Console connection log: Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\SSCLogs\ConsoleUtility0.log
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\IBM\Installation Manager\logs
Console connection log: Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\SSCLogs\ConsoleUtility0.log
If the logs warn that the node was not federated to the cell after installation, you can register the server manually, a process that also federates the node.
What to do next
Proceed to Verifying a Sametime Proxy Server installation on AIX, Linux, Solaris, or Windows
Installing a Sametime Proxy Server in silent modeParent topic: Installing a Sametime Proxy Server
Previous topic: Preparing to install a Sametime Proxy Server
Next topic: Verifying a Sametime Proxy Server installation on AIX, Linux, Solaris, or Windows
Guided activity: Preparing to install a Sametime Proxy Server
Starting the Sametime System Console
Uninstalling a WebSphere-based Sametime server on AIX, Linux, Solaris, or Windows
Registering and federating a Sametime Proxy Server, Media Manager, Meeting Server, or Sametime Advanced manually on AIX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows
If the system to be installed does not have a graphical user interface, you can perform a silent installation using a customized response file. The results are the same as if you had installed using the IBM
Installation Manager and deployment plans. This procedure applies to installing IBM DB2
® for Linux
, the Sametime
System Console, the Sametime
Proxy Server, the Sametime
Media Manager, the Sametime
Meeting Server, and Sametime
Advanced. This procedure does not apply to IBM Sametime
Community Server, Sametime
Gateway, or Sametime