Installing the WebSphere Application Server Update InstallerAdded by IBM on November 23, 2011 | Version 1 (Original)
|Use the WebSphere® Application Server Update Installer to add required software updates.
Use the WebSphere
® Application Server Update Installer to add required software updates.
About this task
Follow these steps to download the update package and install the IBM
® Update Installer, which is needed for installed software updates for WebSphere
Parent topic: Installing on AIX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows
- Log in with the same user account used to install the Sametime® software.
- On the local system, create a directory to store the update files, such as stwas_fixes.
- Download the IBM Update Installer package if you have not already done so.
- To download installation packages:
- To download installation packages, you must have an IBM Passport Advantage® account. For information on using Passport Advantage, see the topic Using Passport Advantage to download IBM products.
- Open the Download document for the release you want to install:
Sametime 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 (Sametime 8.5.2 must be installed first)
Locate the components that you need in the document's listing, then download the packages labelled with the corresponding part numbers to the system on which you are installing.
When extracting downloads on Windows
™ operating systems, use a short path location such as C:\ and not a long path location such as the user's desktop
directories. When extracting to long path locations or deeply nested directories and using the built-in Windows
extract utility, corruption is sometimes seen without any warning. This corruption occurs when maximum path lengths on some Windows
versions are exceeded.
- If you are installing from physical media and your operating system mounts CDs or DVDs automatically with execution privileges turned off, mount the CD or DVD manually instead.
Mount the CD or DVD using the SMIT utility or the appropriate version of the following command:
mount -v cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD using a command similar to the following command:
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD.
- Extract the package to the local fixes directory you created.
- In the UpdateInstallers subdirectory of the package you extracted, extract the updateInstaller package for your platform.
- Navigate to the directory where you extracted the Update Installer and run the install program.
AIX, Linux, or Solaris
- The installation wizard initializes and displays the Welcome screen.
- If you are running on Linux Red Hat and you select the documentation links in the installation program for the Update Installer, your Web browser might not launch. The path to the web browser is not included in your PATH environment variable. To resolve this problem, you can add the web browser path to your PATH environment variable, and rerun the installation program.
- Click Next to continue.
- The License agreement screen is displayed. Read the license agreement and accept its terms. After you accept the licensing terms, the installation wizard checks for a supported operating system and prerequisite patches. If you encounter a problem such as not having the right prerequisite updates on your system, cancel the installation, make the required changes, and restart the installation.
- The Installation directory screen is displayed. Specify the destination of the installation root directory.
- Select the Create a start menu icon to create a shortcut for the Update Installer. Deselect this checkbox if you do not need a shortcut for the Update Installer in your start menu. Click Next to continue.
- The Installation summary panel appears. Review the summary. Click Next to begin the installation or click Back to make changes to previous panels.
- The Installation results panel is displayed. Verify the success of the installer program by examining the completion panel.
- If you want to launch the Update Installer upon completion of the installation, select Launch Update Installer for WebSphere Software on exit.
- Click Finish to exit the installer.