To install Sametime
® 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 to clients running Sametime
Connect and Sametime
embedded clients running earlier releases must be upgraded to Sametime
If you are planning a phased approach to upgrading clients, you will have a mix of clients running different releases of Sametime
in the same organization. Keep the following considerations in mind as you plan for this type of migration.
Updating the Sametime audio-visual plugin for browser-based clients
Although it is possible to update the audio-visual plugin to Interim Feature Release 1 without updating servers, users will not have receive the full set of enhancements provided with this release. For the best audio-visual experience, update all Sametime
servers to Interim Feature Release 1. Users are prompted to install the latest audio-visual plugin automatically.
Clients must be running release 7.5.1 or later to upgrade to Sametime 8.5.2.
- The full set of features for offline messages are available to Sametime Advanced clients running 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 on Sametime Connect or Sametime embedded in Notes®. When offline messaging is configured on the server and the policy is in effect for these users, they can send offline messages and also receive offline messages in an offline messages viewing window.
- Offline messages can be delivered to all clients running 7.5.1 or later. If a user is logged in to multiple clients, offline messages are delivered to the client running 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1, if available. If that release of the client is not available, offline messages are delivered to the client determined by the VPS_PREFERRED_LOGIN_TYPES setting in the sametime.ini file.
If your users are running clients older than release 7.5.1, their workstations must be upgraded to release 7.5.1 or later before you can upgrade them to this release.
Allow upgraded servers to accept login requests from older client versions until client upgrades are complete.
Configure upgraded servers to allow logins from client running a variety of releases.
Audio/video (A/V) interoperability between releases
Parent topic: Planning for migration from an earlier release
Audio and video considerations
Upgrading Sametime clients
Considerations for upgrading the Sametime Connect client
Specifying the minimum allowed client version
Configuring the preferred login list
- All 8.5.x clients (8.5.0, 8.5.1, and 8.5.2) can interoperate with each other and use any 8.5.0, 8.5.1, or 8.5.2 servers.
- IBM Sametime Connect clients or Sametime embedded clients require a Sametime Media Manager server running Release 8.5.1 or later to be able to make or receive computer audio (voice chat) or video calls.
- Microsoft™ Windows™ XP Tablet PC is not supported.
- Sametime Media Manager includes additional security and audio-visual quality features that work with clients running Release 8.5.1 or later only. To support 7.5.x, 8.0.x, or 8.5 clients running on an 8.5.1 or later server, disable these features until all clients are running 8.5.1 or later:
If you leave these features enabled, 8.5 and earlier clients cannot use audio-visual features provided by the Media Manager.
- Clients running releases earlier than 8.5.2 cannot have audio and video communications across a NAT (Network Address Translator) or firewall.