® Sametime Mobile support for RIM Blackberry 9000, and 9530 Series devices.
The following configuration steps provision information for users of RIM Blackberry 9000, and 9530 Series mobile devices. A BES server is currently required to provision these settings through the BES IT Policy These steps are optional but highly recommended.
Hint for user's first time login
Enter a user name suffix, for example an email suffix such as @example.com. During login, the User name field displays this suffix as a default value, so that users need only add their names before the suffix.Sametime server name
Enter the fully qualified host name of the Sametime Community server that mobile devices will connect to by default; for example, sametime.example.com.Specify the connection
Automate provisioning of devices with BES
Select one of the following connection types:
- BES MDS Connection Service: Select this setting to establish a connection using the Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you use a BES connection, you must set up automatic provisioning using the Automate provisioning of devices with BES: setting described below.
- Direct connection: Select this setting to establish a direct connection using the HTTP port.
- Proxy connection: Select this setting if mobile users will connect to the Sametime Community Server through a proxy server. If you enable a proxy connection, you must enter a valid proxy URL in the field that follows:
- Proxy URL: Enter the URL for the proxy server that will connect Sametime® Mobile users to the Sametime Community server.
- Use Sametime Connect user ID and password: Select this option if you want Sametime Mobile users to connect to the proxy server with their IBM Sametime Connect user name and password instead of using the device's proxy user name and password.
A Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) is required to provision the Sametime Mobile client with this information. Follow the on-screen instructions to generate an IT Policy string and copy it to the BES server. The BES documentation provides further information on generating a custom "IT Policy Rule" named "SametimeMobile" with a "Multiline String" value copied from this text field. If a BES server is not being used, the BlackBerry client is still fully functional, but each user will need to configure the appropriate information for server name, proxy, ports, and so on.Parent topic: Configuring Sametime Mobile for client downloads