For the user data included in the Business Card, Administrators can retrieve details about the user from separate Notes
® databases that are dedicated to storing user details and that function independently of the Domino
® directory that is used for Sametime
About this task
Retrieving user data from customized Notes
databases allows you to:
- Retrieve some details from the Sametime Domino directory and the rest from a customized Notes database (Domino)
- retrieve some details from the LDAP directory Sametime is configured to work with and the rest of the details from an additional Notes database.
An additional black box, which functions as a customized special implementation, is provided to enable data retrieval from the customized Notes
database. This 'customized' black box should always be preceded by a call to the black box that handles the Sametime
directory. A CommonField tag is used for synchronization between the black boxes. If the common field is defined as MailAddress, then the value retrieved for MailAddress from the first storage (LDAP or Domino
) is used as the ID to query for in the customized database. The application first queries the database using the userID received as a parameter; if no record is found, it queries the database again, using the value retrieved for the CommonFieldName as userID. To use the customized database feature:
- Perform the following manual steps:
- Open UserInfoConfig.xml and update the CommonField tag in the first 'storage' section to hold the ID property of a Detail tag that represents the same detail in the different storage types. This detail tag is assigned a different field name in each storage section, but the value in each of these fields should be identical for the specific user. The default value for the Common field tag is "MailAddress." The attributes holding the email address for a user should have the same value in both storages.
- Using the Administrator's Tool, update the Business Card attribute page with the values to be retrieved from the Sametime directory, leaving blank the field name for items required from the customized database.
- Remove the Detail tags of the fields you left blank in the set-up page from the first 'storage' section in the UserInfoConfig.xml file.
- Add an additional 'storage' section to the UserInfoConfig.xml as the second storage. This storage section is a new section added specifically for this feature; it differs from the standard Notes storage section through the additional parameters specified below:
<StorageDetails DbName="" View="$users" />
<Detail Id="Location" FieldName="Location" Type="text/plain" />
<Detail Id="Title" FieldName="JobTitle" Type="text/plain" />
<Detail Id="MailAddress" FieldName="InternetAddress" Type="text/plain" />
<Detail Id="Telephone" FieldName="OfficePhoneNumber" Type="text/plain" />
<Detail Id="Company" FieldName="CompanyName" Type="text/plain" />
<Detail Id="Name" FieldName="FirstName,MiddleInitial,LastName"
- In the newly-added "storage" section, delete the Detail tags of the items that you do not want to retrieve from this database, and update:
- The DbName property, including the full path
- The view name (if needed)
- The mapping of the "Detail" tag so each item is mapped to the correct field name of the new database
- Add a BlackBox tag to the BlackBoxConfiguration section in UserInfoConfig.xml as a second record:
<BlackBox type="NOTES_CUSTOM_DB" name="com.ibm.sametime.userinfo.userinfobb.
UserInfoNotesCustomBB" MaxInstances="4" />
- Restart StConfiguration and the HTTP task.
What to do next
For complete information on how to use these "black boxes" and on how to use all the storage repositories for LDAP, Sametime
, and Domino
, see the section in Business Card entitled "Using repositories." This section provides detailed information on how to store and retrieve user data contained in both single and dual repositories.
Parent topic: Additional configurations for black boxes