Upgrade an IBM
® Sametime Meeting Server on IBM AIX
®, Oracle Solaris, or Microsoft
® by installing the update over the existing product.
Before you begin
® System Console Server must be upgraded before upgrading other components. To prevent users from using the system during the upgrade, stop the Sametime
servers in the deployment, except the Sametime
System Console server and Deployment Manager. Leave WebSphere
® Application Server running. For more information, see the Command reference for starting and stopping servers
Make sure your server meets the following requirements:
AIX, Linux, and Solaris:
- Linux: The launchpad install program needs to be able to launch a web browser. You will need to work directly on the console or have an X server and a web browser installed and configured (VNC or a remote Xterm session will work as well).
- Graphics libraries must be installed in the operating system so that Installation Manager can function properly.
- If the IBM WebSphere Update Installer is already installed on this server, it must reside in a directory named lower than version "126.96.36.199" (install_root/IBM/WebSphere/UpdateInstaller/7.0.0.x) to ensure that the installation program can function properly.
If you are installing using the GUI mode, the full X11 desktop environment is required.
About this task
Upgrade cluster components in the following order:
- Deployment Manager (if the Sametime System Console is not serving as the Deployment Manager)
- Primary Node
- Secondary Nodes
Be sure to upgrade all nodes in the cluster because Sametime does not support clusters in which nodes are running different versions of the product.
- Back up the WebSphere Application Server configuration so that you can roll it back if you need to cancel the upgrade.
For more information, see the backupConfig command
in the WebSphere
Application Server information center.
- Log in to your computer as the system administrator on Microsoft Windows operating systems or as root on Linux operating systems.
Solaris only: The installation must be performed by the root user using su or a normal login session. Independent sudo packages are not supported on Solaris.
- Download the Meeting Server installation package.
- To download installation packages:
- To download installation packages, you must have an IBM Passport Advantage® account. For information on using Passport Advantage, see the topic Using Passport Advantage to download IBM products.
- Open the Download document for the release you want to install:
Sametime 8.5.2 Interim Feature Release 1 (Sametime 8.5.2 must be installed first)
Locate the components that you need in the document's listing, then download the packages labelled with the corresponding part numbers to the system on which you are installing.
When extracting downloads on Windows
operating systems, use a short path location such as C:\ and not a long path location such as the user's desktop
directories. When extracting to long path locations or deeply nested directories and using the built-in Windows
extract utility, corruption is sometimes seen without any warning. This corruption occurs when maximum path lengths on some Windows
versions are exceeded.
- If you are installing from physical media and your operating system mounts CDs or DVDs automatically with execution privileges turned off, mount the CD or DVD manually instead.
Mount the CD or DVD using the SMIT utility or the appropriate version of the following command:
mount -v cdrfs -o ro /dev/cd0 /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD using a command similar to the following command:
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
Mount the CD or DVD.
- Navigate to the folder where you stored the downloaded files and start the installation program by running one of the following commands:
AIX, Linux, and Solaris
Note: If you do not have a web browser, go to the Installation Manager package directory and run the installation program (install for Linux or install.exe for Windows). Find the Installation Manager package directory here:
If necessary, select a language other than English from the Select a language list.
Click Install IBM Sametime Meeting Server and click Launch IBM Sametime Meeting Server 8.5.2 installation.
If the IBM Installation Manager is not installed, you are prompted to install it. Do so, then click Finish to restart the Installation Manager and continue with the next step of the Sametime installation.
sametime_server_package is the installation package name for this server.
platform is the operating system on which you are installing.
If you do not see a prompt, continue to the next step.
If the server is connected to the Internet, skip this step. Otherwise, disable the automatic web update search to allow the installation to run successfully.
Click Update to upgrade from a previous release.
Select the packages you want to upgrade, make sure that Update All is not selected, and then click Next.
- In the Installation Manager window, choose File -> Preferences.
- Uncheck Search service repositories during installation and updates and click OK.
The Update All option does not work as expected and may cause the upgrade to fail, so IBM recommends that you do not use it.
Click the I accept the terms in the license agreements option and click Next.
Validate the WebSphere Application Server administrator ID and password, and then click Next.
Enter the fully qualified Sametime System Console server host name.
Do not use an IP address or short host name.
Enter the Sametime System Console user ID and password, then click Validate.
After the Validate button changes to Validated, click Next.
Click Finish when the installation process is complete.
Click Exit to close the Installation Manager.
If this is the Primary Node for a cluster and the Sametime System Console does not function as the cluster's Deployment Manager, copy the upgraded Sametime Meeting Server's EAR file to the System Console.
If this server is not the cluster's Primary Node or the cluster uses the Sametime System Console as its Deployment Manager, skip this step.
- Locate the meetingserver.ear file on the upgraded Sametime Meeting Server:
- Copy the file to the following location on the Sametime System Console:
If the installation was not successful, look at the installation logs for more information about what occurred during the installation attempt. Fix any problems, then uninstall all components and reinstall. Find information in the logs
directory and the ant
You can use the collectLogs utility to gather the logs; collectLogs is located at the root of the installation media.
AIX, Linux, or Solaris
SSC connection log:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\IBM\Installation Manager\logs
SSC connection log:
Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\SSCLogs\ConsoleUtility0.log
An upgrade failure with the message "Error is Platform not running" may indicate a WebSphere
Application Server caching issue. See the following technote for more information:
Parent topic: Upgrading a Sametime 8.5 or 8.5.1 Meeting Server on AIX, Linux, Solaris, and Windows