Your system administrator might connect one of your Sametime server communities to one or more public instant messaging networks, allowing you to chat with members of these networks.
Before you can exchange instant messages and availability status information with a contact using a public instant messaging network, that contact might need to grant you permission to chat with them. You might also need to grant permission to them, before they can add you to their contact list. Once permission is granted, your availability status displays for them and they can chat with you and you can do the same with them. This is specified through the External Contacts tab in your Sametime privacy preferences.
This feature is only available if your organization has an IBM
® Standard or Advanced software license.
- Open the New Contact dialog box.
Table 1. Options
|If you're using:||Do this:|
|IBM Sametime Connect||Click File -> New -> Contact.|
|IBM Lotus Notes®||Click File -> New -> Sametime Contact.|
- In the Server community field, select the Sametime server community that is connected to the public instant messaging network. You administrator determines which server communities you have access to and whether any of them are connected to one or more public instant messaging networks.
- Select Add external user by email address.
- Specify the Sametime contact's email address, nickname, and group to which you want to add this contact. Make sure you enter the correct email address because it is not validated with the network. If you enter an incorrect email address, the contact shows in your Sametime contact list, but with an offline status.
- If you have access to more than one public instant messaging network, select the network for the contact you are adding.
- Click Close.
The contact's email address (or nickname, if you specified one), shows in the contact list. In addition, an icon representing the network shows beside the contact's name in the contact list.
Parent topic: Get connected