You connect to a server community by adding it to your client and logging in to it. When you add a server community, an icon such as this
shows at the top of your Sametime contact list window for that server community. This icon indicates whether or not you are logged in to the server community and your availability status, such as "I am Available," as shown in the server community icon above.
Click the arrow beside the icon to display a menu of options which let you log in, log out, or change your availability status that members of this server community see. Click All
beside your individual server community icons to perform these same tasks for all your server communities at once.
This feature is only available if your organization has an IBM
® Standard or Advanced software license.
Parent topic: Get connected
- Open the server community preferences.
Table 1. Options
|If you're using:||Do this:|
|IBM Sametime Connect||Click File -> New -> Server Community.|
|IBM Lotus Notes®||Click File -> New -> Sametime Server Community.|
- In the Server community type field, select the type of server community you are adding, if you have access to more than one type of server community. Server communities that use the same protocol or are from the same service provider are of the same type. For example, the server communities "sametime.yourcompanya.com" and "sametime.yourcompanyb.com" might both belong to the "sametime" server community type.
- Optional: Server communities can be linked to one another by assigning them the same name in the Server community name field. When server communities are linked and you log in to at least one server community with the same name, the availability status of contacts and public groups in all server communities with that name can be determined, even if some of these server communities are offline. Enter a name for this server community if you want to link one or more server communities.
- Click the Log In tab and complete the fields, as needed.
- Click the Server tab and enter the Host server (the server that the client uses; the host name is similar to a web address, for example, sametime.yourcompany.com).
- Enter the Server community port for this server community.
- Select or clear Send keep alive signal after the following number of seconds and specify how often to send a keep alive message to the server. The default is 60 seconds. This message checks the connectivity between the client and the server and allows you to get timely notification if you are disconnected from the server.
- Click the Connection tab. Unless instructed by your administrator, do not change anything.
- Click the Icon tab to specify a unique icon that will appear for this server community at the top of your Sametime contact list and beside contacts belonging to this server community. You must select Show server community icons beneath contacts in your Sametime Contact List preferences for this icon to appear.
- Select or clear Log into this server community after completing this form to determine whether you automatically log in to this server community after adding it.
- Click OK.