Overview of Sametime in Microsoft OfficeAdded by IBM on November 15, 2013 | Version 1 (Original)
|You can collaborate, create meetings, and chat with your colleagues using the IBM® Sametime® software from Microsoft™ Office. Read this topic to learn how Sametime is integrated with Microsoft Office, and how it helps you do your work.
Depending on how your organization makes Sametime
available to you, the features that are described here might not be available to you. The features might be automatically installed when you install your Sametime
client or you might install them as additional plug-ins. For more information, see your system administrator for more information. In addition, the version of Microsoft
Office that you have determines how Sametime
is available to you.
- Sametime Connect Integrator for Microsoft Outlook adds a Sametime toolbar or group, depending on your version of Microsoft Office, at the beginning of your Microsoft Outlook mail, which provides quick and easy access to many Sametime features, including chat, audio and video calls, meetings, and availability status.
Note: If you have Microsoft Office 2010 or later software, a Sametime group is added to the Office Ribbon. If you have Microsoft Office 2007, a Sametime toolbar is added.
- Sametime Meeting Integrator for Microsoft Outlook lets you manage Sametime meetings from your Microsoft Outlook calendar and automatically add meeting room information to your Microsoft Outlook meeting invitations.
- Sametime Connect Integrator for Microsoft Office adds Sametime menus to Microsoft Office smart tags in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Note: Smart tags are not available in Microsoft Office 2013.
- Sametime Connect Integrator for Microsoft Sharepoint provides Sametime availability for contact list names in Sharepoint pages. Also, hover your mouse over a name to show a list of menu options to carry out tasks for that person. This works with Internet Explorer only.
- Sametime Instant Share lets you share an application, a portion of your screen, or your entire screen with colleagues, even if they are not in the same physical location as you. If you have this feature, an Instant Share icon displays in the Sametime group in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Some additional features might also be available to you, such as:
- Setting startup options for IBM Sametime.
- Copying contacts between your Sametime and Microsoft Outlook contact lists.
- Setting your Sametime status to change automatically each time you have a meeting that is scheduled in your Outlook calendar.
- Storing your chat transcripts in your Outlook mailbox.
If you deploy the 64-bit version of Microsoft
Office, then the auto-status change feature and the ability to save chat transcripts in Outlook will not be available.
Parent topic: Using Sametime in Microsoft Office